Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 223 Remington BDL back from Scheels >

223 Remington BDL back from Scheels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 Remington BDL back from Scheels

Old 07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 223 Remington BDL back from Scheels

I had to get some warranty work done on this one because it would barely chamber. They worked on the extractor; it is still a little rough on casings now and then, but at least it is useable. This is a 24" standard (not heavy) barrel BDL with 1 in 12 twist. At this point I have a Leupy VXII in 3x9 on it. This was my first try with Ultramax Remanufactured ammo; 52 grain ballistic tip and I did about 40 rounds in 3 round groups. Well, I was having way too much fun and forgetting my stock weld, so I had some flyers now and then. My last 4 groups from a sandbag ran about 1 to 1 & 1/4 inches. We need to get us down to 3/4" groups. At least that is my modest ambition.

This rifle is mainly for fun; I also plan on decapitating some small tasty critters with it late this year or early next. My shooting never exceeds 200 yards because of terrain and vegetation. At this point I don't plan on reloading. If any of you have some thoughts on good factory ammo and bullet weight, I would like to hear.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 223 Remington BDL back from Scheels

My Ruger 77 Mk II .223 likes the cheap winchester 45gr varmint ammo. The top right group I shot with this ammo in my Ruger. It is a three shot group at 100 yards, my third shot is in the same hole as my second shot on the botom. The bottom right group is with the same ammo and rifle but my brother shot this group. He was not expecting my trigger to be that light so his first shot was a little to the right.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

This is what the box looks like. There are 40 rounds in the box and they were $11 at walmart but they just went up to $13 a box here in Michigan. The box says they are 3600 fps. I shot a few crows with it this late winter/spring and they did a very good job out at 165-185 yards.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gundigest has recommended very good ammo IMO....however if the gun needs bedding it's likely to not shoot anything better than 1 1/4".....I always glass bed the action and float barrels before trying all kinds of ammo.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I was thinking about 45 grains; used to put alot through my triple deuce before I wore it out. Good price on the ammo, too. I recall seeing some a couple days ago.

Hey, that is nice little group on the 300 wsm.