Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem 700 BDL goes back to Scheels >

Rem 700 BDL goes back to Scheels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 BDL goes back to Scheels

Old 06-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem 700 BDL goes back to Scheels

Like many, I am a worried parent when I have to take a rifle back, but it was REAL hard to get something chambered in this .223. To those of us that are not gunsmiths, on this piece, it looks like the extractor did not make it over the rim until after firing. I probably shouldn't have put 10 rounds through, but oh well. 'hope it is not something more serious.

Anyway, once the smith gets it diagnosed, I will have a 3 way with the gunsmith and the rifle boss and figure out what to do.

Biscuit paces.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rem 700 BDL goes back to Scheels

THe extractor has to pop over the rim of the cartridge otherwise the bolt will nto close. The extractor would keep the bolt far enough back that the lugs would not cam into their seats.

Many times the Remington extractors are very sharp and burred and will shave brass off of the rim when chambering. When you get brass inside the chamber area or where the lugs cam over then it can create problems like hard to chamber cartridges, bolts hard to close, & very hard to extract fired cartridges.

If this is happening it is as simple as creating a very slight radius on the extractor to remove burrs and the sharpness.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, bigbulls, the simpler the better. I'd rather have all my rifles on the chuckwagon.

When I thought about my conversation with the Rifle Mgr this am, it did not make any sense that the extractor didn't seat over the rim. I think it did eventually in the crank down of the bolt to full lock, and cutting and shearing some rim surface as it went through the process. Short of that , the casings look pretty good and I could see no stretching, crumpling, cracks, etc with the naked eye.

I reckon their gunsmith will make the final call. Heh, heh. Would prefer to have warranty cover it. They can do Remington warranty work there.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you notice any brass on the bolt face or laying just in front of the chamber?

On a push feed like a Remington the extractor will not typically pop over the rim of the cartridge until you start pushing the bolt handle down. But it was definetly over the rim before you fired it.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 PM

What exactly was your problem, was the case hard to chamber and jammed? When I got my 300 win mag BDL I had a hard time chambering the bullets and the cases jammed. It turned out to be a rough chamber and I had it sent back and they just polished the chamber and I haven't had any problems since. Like everyone said, the extractor won't go over the rim until the bolt is all the way in and locking down.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it was hard to chamber but only at the point where I was ready to crank the bolt down to full lock. How much the cartridge advances at that point, if any, I have no clue. The extractor was very hard on the cases, leaving surface shear marks and burrs. This shop is authorized to do warranty work so hopefully it won't be out too long. I prefer to zero in the spring. If it is a really involved repair, the gun boss wants to ship it back and order a replacement.

Seven Remingtons in the family and we have never had one with a problem like this. What a surprise.