Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm beginning to think this site... >

I'm beginning to think this site...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm beginning to think this site...

Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm beginning to think this site...

ORIGINAL: Hunter4life81

ORIGINAL: James B

The example you used is as rare as chickens fangs. You will find darn few cases where the 30-06 has failed to kill almost any NA game. I have long ago lost track of the critters I have killed with the 30-06. I have yet to see ANY animal fairly hit in the vitals with a 30-06 that didn't give it up PDQ. In some rare cases strange things happen but it has nothing to do with cartridge size. How many people do you think in this country hunt deer with rifles way smaller than the 30-06? 243. 250 Savage, 260 6.5x55, 270, 280 7MM-08 7x57 Mauser, 30-30, 308, muzzle loaders and handguns? All these guns are smaller than the 30-06. Are you saying with a straight face that none of these are suitable deer rifles? Are you saying that nothing short of Mr. whiz bang Magnum + will take elk.? If so you better start doing a little research on hunting. Do you think that the entire buffalo herds in this country didn't die because the buffalo hunters didn't have any WSM's and Ultra Mags? Maybe they are all still alive just hiding in the bush laughing. Maybe all the big game taken with the 30-06 including Elk Moose and Grizzlies will come back to life and start kicking butt.
to answer teh 1st bold ? yeah they are all sutible for deer but with experince that my dad had he never went back to the 30-06 again and he still says yeah it a good gun but not for him and he refuses to get me a 30-06.
(The second bold sentence) maybe......................... but i'm not saying it won;t kill an anmal like buffalos, elk or moose but what i'm sayin is what went threw my dads head well if that deer got away then what will happen to an elk if i get a long shot at it, b/c after taht he lost all faith in his old 30-06, yeah sure i will say he shot deer with that ol 30-06 but he lost all confidencein it,so what i'm sayin is that if you shot an elk3 times in the heart and lung area and you know that you hit it with all3 bullets and you never find that bull and you look at mountain say to the north of you and you see that same bull runing full speed uphill and you follow him for 5 miles, what are you going to say and are you going to be dissapointed, well yeah. but if you know for a fact that you hit him in his heart and lungs3 times your are going to blame it on your gun, so the next year you don't wanna have the same thing happen so you are going to bring something with a lot more punch. NOW I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE 300 WON'T KILL AN ELK I WAS JUST GIVING AN EXAMPLE I'VE SEEN WHAT A 300 DOES TO ELK AT 300+ YARDS.
Gavin's hunt on Begley Wildlife Management Area in Bell County proved just as successful. Wackerman, who had never been on Begley WMA until he arrived the night before the hunt, used a series of cow calls to lure an impressive bull within 20 yards of his hunter. Gavin dropped the bull with her first shot from her father’s .30-06.
Not all shots were as close. Louisville resident William Earnhart III placed two shots within inches at 400 yards with his .30-06 rifle to down a large 6x6 bull on opening day.

i just took that from the kdfw site from this past year's elk hunt. so maybe your dad's elk was bulletproof or something. 3 shots in the heart??? how did the elk even run??? just curious. apparently the good ole '06 works for others and hasn't let me down with deer yet. the one i shot last year in ky dropped with one shot.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn the luck!!! I knew they shoulda left the grenade launcher on the ol 06 in case the 4 point charged em!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

now 308 are being used as snipers B/C of its accuracy
Welllll....not exactly....it's used because it's a military cartridge.

some branches of the service are using the .50 BMG as a sniper rifle and some are using the 7MM Rem Mag.....
Very few 7. mags are used by the military. But the .300 winmag is used.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

This cartridge is better than that one. That cartridge won't kill this animal. yada, yada, yada.

Regardless of the cartridge being used, shot placement is fundemental. Don't like magnums, don't use 'em. Swear by 'em, use 'em. Personally, I don't as I have no confidence problems in the cartridges I have/use. I have no problems with magnums an understand that they most ertainly do have thier place. What gets me is when folks put down other cartridges w/o having any knowledge of them. I've found that these folks are usually the ame ones that own the magnums and know little about them. In atching them and listening to them it aslo seems many that "need" a magnum are using one to compensate for their shortcomings in the accuracy department. They're using that extra oomph when they made a poor shot. Have heard a hunter say he was upset 'cause his deer didn't drop after hit (magnum cartridge). Turns out it was an arse shot. Dosen't matter if you're using a .375 H7H magnum or a .30-30, shot placement is the critical factor.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 AM

Here, Here....Maine Shooter. You've said it all, in a nutshell.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

I knew there was some reason I sold my 30/06.It didn't work on heart shots.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

ORIGINAL: James B

The example you used is as rare as chickens fangs. You will find darn few cases where the 30-06 has failed to kill almost any NA game. I have long ago lost track of the critters I have killed with the 30-06. I have yet to see ANY animal fairly hit in the vitals with a 30-06 that didn't give it up PDQ. In some rare cases strange things happen but it has nothing to do with cartridge size. How many people do you think in this country hunt deer with rifles way smaller than the 30-06? 243. 250 Savage, 260 6.5x55, 270, 280 7MM-08 7x57 Mauser, 30-30, 308, muzzle loaders and handguns? All these guns are smaller than the 30-06. Are you saying with a straight face that none of these are suitable deer rifles? Are you saying that nothing short of Mr. whiz bang Magnum + will take elk.? If so you better start doing a little research on hunting. Do you think that the entire buffalo herds in this country didn't die because the buffalo hunters didn't have any WSM's and Ultra Mags? Maybe they are all still alive just hiding in the bush laughing. Maybe all the big game taken with the 30-06 including Elk Moose and Grizzlies will come back to life and start kicking butt.
to answer teh 1st bold ? yeah they are all sutible for deer but with experince that my dad had he never went back to the 30-06 again and he still says yeah it a good gun but not for him and he refuses to get me a 30-06.
(The second bold sentence) maybe......................... but i'm not saying it won;t kill an anmal like buffalos, elk or moose but what i'm sayin is what went threw my dads head well if that deer got away then what will happen to an elk if i get a long shot at it, b/c after taht he lost all faith in his old 30-06, yeah sure i will say he shot deer with that ol 30-06 but he lost all confidencein it,so what i'm sayin is that if you shot an elk3 times in the heart and lung area and you know that you hit it with all3 bullets and you never find that bull and you look at mountain say to the north of you and you see that same bull runing full speed uphill and you follow him for 5 miles, what are you going to say and are you going to be dissapointed, well yeah. but if you know for a fact that you hit him in his heart and lungs3 times your are going to blame it on your gun, so the next year you don't wanna have the same thing happen so you are going to bring something with a lot more punch. NOW I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE 300 WON'T KILL AN ELK I WAS JUST GIVING AN EXAMPLE I'VE SEEN WHAT A 300 DOES TO ELK AT 300+ YARDS.
Gavin's hunt on Begley Wildlife Management Area in Bell County proved just as successful. Wackerman, who had never been on Begley WMA until he arrived the night before the hunt, used a series of cow calls to lure an impressive bull within 20 yards of his hunter. Gavin dropped the bull with her first shot from her father’s .30-06.
Not all shots were as close. Louisville resident William Earnhart III placed two shots within inches at 400 yards with his .30-06 rifle to down a large 6x6 bull on opening day.

i just took that from the kdfw site from this past year's elk hunt. so maybe your dad's elk was bulletproof or something. 3 shots in the heart??? how did the elk even run??? just curious. apparently the good ole '06 works for others and hasn't let me down with deer yet. the one i shot last year in ky dropped with one shot.
i was acctually setting an example of something.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't that funny thats the reason my dad doesn't shot a 30-06 nemore, but he shot a a4x4 buck at 125 yrds and my uncle was looking threw a scope and he seen where the fur flew up in the air and it was in a well placed shot and they never found that deer and the following year my dad got him self a 300wm and he shot a 3x3 buck and killed it on the spot, so yeah you could say hewasa true blue 30-06 six fan till that happend. (and to add up to the top they shot him and he fell then he got back up a few minutes later and never found him)
I would bet I have killed more deer with a 22LR than yer daddy has with all his rifles combined.
Now I have heard it all. A 30-06 is to small. Buwahahahahahaha Ahhhahahahahaaha!

Whats yer daddy's choice of weapon for small game ? a .270
hahaha.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Ain't that funny thats the reason my dad doesn't shot a 30-06 nemore, but he shot a a4x4 buck at 125 yrds and my uncle was looking threw a scope and he seen where the fur flew up in the air and it was in a well placed shot and they never found that deer and the following year my dad got him self a 300wm and he shot a 3x3 buck and killed it on the spot, so yeah you could say hewasa true blue 30-06 six fan till that happend. (and to add up to the top they shot him and he fell then he got back up a few minutes later and never found him)
I would bet I have killed more deer with a 22LR than yer daddy has with all his rifles combined.
Now I have heard it all. A 30-06 is to small. Buwahahahahahaha Ahhhahahahahaaha!
i know seriously. what is this world coming too?????

zrex first they were saying a 243 was too small now a 30-06????? no seriously what is this world coming too????

Quick Reply: I'm beginning to think this site...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.