Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Duplex verses Multi Range Recticles >

Duplex verses Multi Range Recticles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Duplex verses Multi Range Recticles

Old 07-26-2005, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Duplex verses Multi Range Recticles

I just got a set of Leupold Katmai binoculars in 8x32 and am impressed for the 300 price tag. I also looked through the new Gold ring binoculars and Swarvoski binoculars at Cabelas and actually thought the Leupold were better so I bought them for my Christmass present.

The dudes chief complaints about the Leupold was they buy their glass from Japan and all over as he put it and he said at really long ranges he compared the Zeis Conquest, Nikon, and LPS and said the LPS was "crap". He also maintained the color was off in the Leupold scopes. Personally, I thought they were all awesome when I looked through them. Then again, I have a couple Leupolds and I've had good luck with them. I'll probably pick up an LPS in a year or so when I have the money.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 PM

On a long range rifle, where most of the time the shots are going to be long 200/250/300/350 & 400 yards. I thing the multi range is the way to go. I have B-plex on a 7mm mag and love it. I use this gun for hunting big clear cut/powerlines and large farm fields. I think it's nice to use the correct hash mark and be plus or minus a few inches. It beats holding high,you still have to correct for windage.
The down side is the scope is busy meaning there is more cluter in the scope field of veiw.
They must be selling, thats why Leupold is now offering them.
I just hope people who can't shoot far, don't take shots they think they can make just because they got that long range reticle.
I have shot 4 deer with the B-plex reticle 140,180,200 and 300 yards. I only needed the 300yard mark for the 300 yard shot. Yes, with a standard 200 yard zero if I didn't have that scope I would of put the cross hairs just below the backline and cut loose.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 AM

I agree with Little Magnum in that there are good uses for the MutiRange reticles. I have heard others say that they're not much use in a big game rifles, rather to be used for varmint shooting. I have also heard other hunters say that they are just too busy. I personally think don't think that they are distracting, but you should look in both to get an idea.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:25 PM

I find the ones on the Burris scopes not very distracting. I can't see why one would need to shoot over 400 yards so I won't be getting one. Who makes these recticles other than Burris and now Leupold?[&o]
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swarovski and Kahles also have the TDS reticle system. It’s similar to the Boone & Crockett but I find not as cluttered.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Seeking Trad Deer

I was at Cabellas yesterday because they have a huge scope selection I can look through. I spent about an hour with the head scope guy. He told me that Leupold are poor scopes. He told me I should be buying a Zeis Conquest, Nikon Monarch Gold, or Swarvoski or perhaps even a Burris before I buy a Leupold. I do think Zeiss is better but I was really surprised at how down he was on the Leupold Scopes. This is coming from the guy that is their scope expert and that is all he does. What do you guys think about this?
I think poor scope is pushing it. I do think they are extremely over priced for what you get. I have done about 4 experiments between my Aetec and my VXII and there is no competition. The Aetec is much clearer and has better visibility in low light. That is a 70% difference in price. Both of these scopes are brand new.

Tom
Old 07-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I use Duplex, cause I use the wide part of the reticle to estimate yardage with.