Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range >

Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Which do you guys prefer? I use a red dot scope now, but am thinking of switching a multi-range. I know that this is something that I will have to look thorugh both, but I was just wondering if I could get some of your input?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

I prefer scopes. There's several of them out there made by third world emirates all and sold by most mfgrs.Most are fixed reticule where you take what you get via your bows speed an arrow weight, seldom are the non adjusting ones right on for your setup. There's three that I know of where you can dial your poi's in at the farther ranges. Two by Excal, V-zone and it's lit reticule cousin the L-zone. $89 and $119 if you look around some. The third one that does the same thing is made by Tru-Glow, believe around $199 and have read of less than outstanding customer service by them but have no personal experience w/ Tru-Glow.I have two xbows and various weight arrows and a poor memory, lol. Don't like having to remember a bunch of different holds, over or under, ect. When I take a poke off bags at 20 w/ the Excal "Zones" and I'm in there I know all is well at the farther ranges. good luck!!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Rockenchair it is mostly only preference and what you like. a single dot, pin, or crosshair for some is ideal because it is less busy or crowded in the field of view. For deer or animals of this size or larger, you can get away with only one pin or aiming point. The hitting point high or low would still be inside the killing zone at normal distances but for something like turkeys, you would need to either adjust your aim point (hold high or low) or use different ranging sites.

I use a regular rifle scope with tapered crosshairs. Where these tapper down to a finer line (2 points) will give me 3 total aiming points (just works out with my bow 20, crosshair-30 & 40). My dad has a different scope and I find it very busy or cluttered (he likes it) and I think he has 6 different points for aiming. These are all fixed points of aim, so you has to remember where each points are for distance (not always on the 20's, 30's ect....... sometimes like 15, 24, 33). I think that I will be (if I can ever come up with the money) getting an Excalibur scope because of the variable setting for the points of aim. Different weight of arrows will give you different arrow speeds and points of impact (adjust speed ring and your on target).

I love the feature of having the extra aim points because my bow is very accurate and I want to be able to place the arrow exactly where it should be.

Hope this has helped you and not confused you more
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Multi range reticule scope for me. Started with three dot, lack of magnification caused me to change.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have had nothing but problems with triple red dots so I switched to a regular old pin and peep. I did try a scope but didn't like the magnification for such close range. The ten point proview was a sweet scope though.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, what cossack said.
BBO
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did not realize that Multi-range scopes magnify?? so you are saying to a certain extent they work like a rifle scope?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Did not realize that Multi-range scopes magnify?? so you are saying to a certain extent they work like a rifle scope?
Yes

They are basically the same as a rifle scope but the adjustments (for sighting it) are set for shorter distances (not the 1 click + .25 inches). On the variable scopes, it is the function of variable distance (zoom) which has arrow speed printed on it instead or 2X or 3X which allows you to adjust the aim points for different arrow speeds. Crossbow scopes are not a high magnification like most rifle scopes. I think most are 2X or 3X of the fixed and the Variable are 2X - 4X. Unless your in very heavy underbrush, the magnification should not be much of a problem in sighting on an animal.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 AM

if your interested in a multi scope ; I have two Barnett 4x32 multi rectial Xbow scope's with 5 points.they are $85.00 to $90.00 new. one is new the other was on my bow for one season.I'll take $100.00 for both.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 AM

when i figure out how to post pictures here i'll show ya'll my peep and pin system.it works well at the close ranges we shoot.besides, i never did have much faith in a scope anyway
ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

I have had nothing but problems with triple red dots so I switched to a regular old pin and peep. I did try a scope but didn't like the magnification for such close range. The ten point proview was a sweet scope though.

Quick Reply: Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.