Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best hunting rifle, money not an option >

Best hunting rifle, money not an option

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best hunting rifle, money not an option

Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best hunting rifle, money not an option

For the money I think Ruger is very hard to beat. Both of my M77Mk IIs shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards. My .223 will shoot a 1/2" group at 100 yards withwinchester factory varmint loads (the top group in the pictrue is a3shot group)andmy 300 WSM will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with my 150gr hand loads and .6" groups with my 165gr and 180gr handloads.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Weatherby Accumark.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
DM

For the same reason it fits your need perfectly, It fits almost nobody elses needs. I just read a good article about custom guns as an investment. Although it works sometimes it not really a good bet.
Who cares?????????????????? I didn't build it for the "next" guy, i built it for me, for the rest of my life. Resale means "nothing" when you keep it!!

Iwanted "quality", not "quantity".... Once i got that figured out, my shooting skills improved considerably!!

Drilling Man
Old 07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DM

For the same reason it fits your need perfectly, It fits almost nobody elses needs. I just read a good article about custom guns as an investment. Although it works sometimes it not really a good bet.
Who cares?????????????????? I didn't build it for the "next" guy, i built it for me, for the rest of my life. Resale means "nothing" when you keep it!!

Iwanted "quality", not "quantity".... Once i got that figured out, my shooting skills improved considerably!!

Drilling Man
Very well said.My feelings exactly.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Me too. However some buy guns for an investment and I thought I would pass on the things I learned as a gun dealer and a life long hunter. Some may learn from hearing all points of view. Sorry if anyone takes offense. Some may care. For those who don't I never said a word.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

My pickwould be aBrowning.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I'm quite a cheap b-st-rd but I do own a few top notch guns. But my advice to anyone that said they want to spend a decent chunk of money for a reasonable quality factory gun (not custom $$$ here)....I'd advise them to handle all of the Tikkas, Sakos, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Brownings, Rugers, CZ's,Remingtons, and Savages they can get their hands on (did I miss a few?). The fit and handling is extremely important. If it's not comfortable and you can't settle in to the stock with ease then it doesn't matter one iota what features it has or how it looks.
Once they have narrowed down their fit and feel choices they need to decide on caliber....then SPEND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN POSSIBLYAFFORD on the scope.
I like Savage guns...tough, reliable, easy to work on...and with the new accutrigger they have come up a couple notches for sure. I still wish they had a 3 position swing safety...but the tang works ok. They are still a little "homely" but I don't kiss it ...I shoot it.
I dare say you could buy 3 different left hand Savages and scope them nicely for the cost of one custom gun.
Below are just some, not all, of Savage's left hand offerings...
http://www.savagearms.com/10glxp3.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/110glxp3.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/111fl.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/12flv.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/10flp.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/116flss.htm
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn Good advice. I have a Savage 308 with an Aetec scope on it. It will do better than an inch every day out and has bettered 1/2 inch with several loads. I quess I have 500.00 in it total. Rifle, scope, rings and basses. Also a set of flip up scope cavers. I can't say that every Savage will shoot that well but I wouldn't bet against them doing so either.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose Tikka T3 without hesitation. MOA (I've routinely put grouping within 1" at 200 yards with premium ammo and Nikon Monarchscope), same accurate floating barrel as Sako (same company), strong/smooth action, strong solid rings come free, removable magazine, palm swell, adjustable smooth trigger, beautiful design and feel.

With a weaker dollar and popularity the 2 I've purchased in the past 2 years have gone from $489 and $499 respectively for .300 WM and .30-06 blued hardwood stock to $600+. But they are still some of the finest, most accurate rifles for the money out of the box imo available.

The fellow atthe gunshop I bought them from told me they have sold more Tikkas rifles in the past 3 years or so than ANY other rifles, shotgun, handgun, they are so popular and well recommended by fellow hunters.