Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BOSS system >

Browning BOSS system

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BOSS system

Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Browning BOSS system

I'm looking to get some kind of opinion from the population so as to help me in my gun purchase. I'm looking to buy a new rifle for hunting when I get back from Iraq and I've more or less got my mind set on a Browning ABolt Medallion in left handed. anyways, im curious about their BOSS system and its effect on the gun's recoil. I've been considering .30-06, 7mm mag, or 300 win mag. My question is how much recoil does the BOSS remove from the 7 or 300. id like ot purchase the larger caliber but if the boss doesnt affect recoil that much i may go with the 06. Any input would be appreciated
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning BOSS system

If youwerepurchasing the gun to shoot at the range then it makes some sense....however youstated this would be a hunting rifle.

If you are not aware, shooting guns with muzzlebreaks without hearing protection can/does result in permanent hearing loss. Yes,that occurs in guns even without a brake. However the effects with the brake are much more dramatic.

Since youplan onusing this gun for hunting, I would strongly advise against the BOSS, unless of course you plan on hunting while wearing ear protection, (unlikely).

If you doubt my advice, just do yourself a favor. Go to the range and stand at the line while anyone is shooting a gun with a muzzlebreak. That way you will at least be aware of what you will be doing to yourself before making an investment.

You can take your pick....permanent hearing lossOR sore shoulder OR smaller caliber....
Old 07-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Agreed, You can prretty much only pick one of those. I personaly think the muzzle break is a marketing gimmick, EXCEPT in some cases such as with a .50 BMG, or other situations where it really does help. But for a hunting rifle, I personaly would not get a break.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned one boss equipped rifle and will not own another.Aside from the extreme noise to the shooter,the boss on my rifle kept coming loose and when it did,the point of impact changed.The boss equipped rifles also come equipped with shorter barrels to compensate for the length of the boss.As a result they produce less velocity than non boss equipped guns.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has a .300 mag with the boss, it does reduce recoil but like others have said, it is EXTREMELY LOUD ! I would rather have the extra kick than all that noise.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

my brother inlaw have a 300 win mag medalion left hand with boss, he says it kicks less thn the 30 06 he sold us. sure it loud but when hunting you fire 1 possibly 2 shots.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

A FACTORY BRAKE IS FOR REAL NO GIMMICK. I have the Weatherby 30-378 with the accubrake and i shoot it one handed on the rest. No muzzle jump or painful recoil. It works great. Unfortunately Weatherby does not make a LH gun. They are very loud and deafening. I have a pair of QB3's an hard plastic head phone with ear plugs. Moves up to the ear real fast and provides some protection. At the range....muffs on plugs. I try to wear my QB3's when I shoot any gun in the field....any trophy is not worth hearing loss.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a hunting situation without hearing protectionYOU WILL experience AT LEASTONE if not more of these symptoms after shooting a 7mm or 300 Win Mag with a muzzlbreak...

According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology, noise is damaging if:
[ul]you have to shout to be heard.
your ears hurt.
your ears ring.
you have difficulty hearing for a couple of hours after the exposure. [/ul]
Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Snibb:

I have the A-Bolt BOSS in .300 Win and would not buy another one. I think the "noise" factor is not really a factor. The BOSS equipped rifles come with a CR adapter that eliminates the noise associated with the muzzlebrake. My .300 feels like my .25-06 when I used the muzzle brake. I tried to give the brake away, and just use the CR, but no one would take it. As Stubblejumper mentioned, the barrel is shorter than other barrels, so you do lose quite a bit of velocity, turning your .300 into a .30-06. My biggest grump with the system is that when I reload, you just introduced so many factors you could spend 100s of hours trying to get the right one. You don't know if you should go +/- on the powder, the OAL, or turn the BOSS 1/8 of a turn (which way?). Then when the brake comes loose (it will, you have to buy the replacement nylon bushings periodically), you get to start all over. When buying rifles, it appealed to me at the time as a "neophyte" shooter, but over time it has become a PITA. I tried to trade it and a bunch of cash for a used .300 SAKO 75 and the dealer would not even consider it. BTW, the recoil on the .300 should not bother you anyway. If anybody happens to still want one (RH model), I will let it go cheap!!!

Good luck,
CE
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado well said.....I wasn't even going to try to discuss the infinite variables it causes....

Quick Reply: Browning BOSS system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.