Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger hand Guns >

Ruger hand Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger hand Guns

Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Ruger hand Guns

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a 44.mag Ruger hand gun for hunting white tail deer.
I went to Ruger's web-site,and looked at their hand guns.
I'm not sure if the Super Red Hawk 7 1/2" is better than the New modle Super Black Hawk 7 1/2". I know that I'll be shooting both guns by single action anyway.Double action shootin the 44 mag. is like hopeing you grt lucky and hit what your shooting at.
My brother has the plain Ruger Red Hawk,but he can't mount a scope on the pistol.
What type of Ruger do most of ya'll hunt with in the 44Mag.?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ruger hand Guns

roger, count down 8 from your post> Deer pistol.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

I own the Redhawk in .44 Mag. 5 1/2" barrel and I'm VERY pleased with the gun. Well built.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM

I've got both a Redhawk and an old 3 screw Super Blackhawk my Dad bought around 1960. The Redhawk is a good gun - capable of taking some really hot loads. The Blackhawk is a great gun, balance, trigger, finish is excellent on it.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger SRH 7.5" barrel .44 Rem. Mag., and I really enjoy it. If you want a single action, I would go with the Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, so you can mount a scope on it. I had a Super Blackhawk andinstalled the mount that clamps to the framewhich did notwork very well. I could not bring my self to have the top strap drilled to accept mounts, so I sold it to my cousin and purchased the Ruger SRH. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:06 AM

I too have a SRH 7 1/2" that I bought the first year they were released. The thing that sold me was the integral scope mount and extended frame. This is one tough handgun that will take anything you care to feed it. First thing I did also was to have it Mag-Na-Ported which has helped when the diet is heavy hunting loads.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag and have had a super redhawk in .454cassul and .480 Ruger. I'm not a huge fan of the grip angle on most DA revolvers, just not my thing, and I've never felt the need to carry a DA for deer except for hunts in bear country.

The way I figure it, make your choice based on what else you'd do with the gun, and which gun fits your hand best. DA's don't typically feel right in my hand and seem less pointable for me, so do bisley gripped SA's, but the steeper grip angle might suit you well. If you're going to be hunting much in bear country, or would be plinking a lot with your gun, then the DA is a better option.

For me, I prefer single actions, your mileage may vary.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger's are solid guns.You have several choices.The SRH which comes with the integral scope rings.The Redhawk can be had with or without the rings.Then the single actions the Super Blackhawk. It's a great single action. I would highly suggest looking at the New Super Blackhawk Hunter.They are set up with the integral rings. They come with thestandard grip frameor it's available with a Bisley grip frame.
I hunt with a Redhawk 44mag.Mine is the scoped model.I took the scope off and been using the open sights.Once in awhileI'll carry a SRH in 454 Casull. Mine has the 9.5"bbl and is to heavy for all day carrying. I picked up a SBH Hunter last year. One with the standard grip frame. I haven't taken the time to shot it . If itshoots as expected it might become my new woods gun.Any of the Ruger's would be a good choice. See which one feels good to you.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Both guns have extreamly strong frames, I personally like the grip angle on double action guns better, they don't rock back like the single action guns do. I personally would probably go with the Supper Blackhawk Hunter in .44 or the Supper Redhawk in .454(.45LC).
Old 06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ruger Handguns are strong , reliable and a good buy. I have had a lot of them and they have provided good service and excellent bang for buck.