Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 hand guns in new york >

hand guns in new york

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hand guns in new york

Old 05-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hand guns in new york

i didnt know exactly where to post this, so dont be suprised if you happen to see it over in the northeast forum

What is the process for getting a hand gun permit and or concealed weapons permit in New York? I know you have to be 21, but other than that i am clueless.
Is it hard to get? What are the requirements and process? Does it cost alot of money? Where do you go to apply for one?

I still have a few months before i turn 21, and who knows if I'll even get one after that, but any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

oh, and i am not referring to new york city.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hand guns in new york

CMA3366a ..when you say carry permit do you mean concealed weapon permit that you can carry on your person or just the ability to be in possession of a pistol ? Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

CMA3366a ..when you say carry permit do you mean concealed weapon permit that you can carry on your person or just the ability to be in possession of a pistol ? Thanks
cma has given you a very accurate description of the process..."The process varies by county, and so do the odds of getting a carry permit. Luckily for me, my local county (otsego) elected a pro-gun sherriff, and he prefers issuing (his own words)carry permits.

There were never truer words about the process in NY - it does vary significantly from county to county as to whether you will even be approved or not. This is entirely up to the discretion of the County Judge!
If the Judge doesn't believe people should have pistols, he can deny a permit for no real reason. he can also issue a "restricted" (hunting & Target) permit, even though there is no provision for such a thing in NY State law. Likewise, there is no provision in NY State law for a "concealed" permit. IF the county issues you a carry permit without any restrictions, you can carry the thing concealed or openly, as you wish. If the permit is restricted to premises, you cannot carry it at all!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well when I lived in NJ the mid 80's no such thing as a carry permit for a normal individual. You purchased a pistol after having a background check, usualfingerprinting and have the Local police chief signing off on a form that you brought to your gunstore and then purchased a pistol. One form per pistol. You were allowed to go to and from a target range with that pistol and you better have that form with you if you were stopped by LEO and that pistol was in your possession. Not sure of current laws in NJ
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM

In Onondaga County you have tohave a real good reason to get the permit to conseal and carry. Like a small business owner who transports large sums of money in a bad neighborhood. From what I have heard I guess anyone with a clean and clear record can get the permit for hunting and target shooting.
1. Handgun Course
2. Buy the application packet at your local Sheriffs office 10$
3. Fill out all paperwork with three references.
4. Make an appointment for the paperwork and prints, wait time 2 1/2 months
5. Money orders:
99.00 $
6. Your references will be contacted, thenthey will have to fill out a questionaire and send it back.
7. After all the paperwork is returned it will take about 1 month to recieve or be denied your permit.
8. Good Luck.

When I had taken my handgun course I was the only one there besides the instructor. He gives these classes all over the state and is very active in promoting our right to bear arms. In other words he knows what is going on throughout the state. He stated that conseal and carry permits arre no longer given to Johny Goodcitzen because he is a stand up guy who served our contry during a time of war. There needs to be a GOOD reason. Even if you do have a ligit reason because of a business you will be only issued a permit to carry during your business hours. The only way to get the all out conseal and carry you have to be a Police Officer or a Professional Security guard. There are exceptions but they are few and far inbetween. Good luck. I have my finger print appointment in a few weeks, I'm going for the target/hunting permit. Its good to her that there are some pro gun Judges out there as someone said earlier in a post.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks everyone, i guess the concensus is to go to the sherrifs office and find out for myself. Like I said before i dont even turn 21 for a few months.

I live in jefferson county and i dont know how sherrif Burns is on gun control. I dont know anyone in the county with a hand gun, so i have nothing to refer to.

I think its a load of BS that I have to prove i have enough reason to exercise my second amendment right. Its my right as an american citizen, thats enough reason right there.
why do i want a carry permit? because i CAN, thats why
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SCHOOLBOY

In Onondaga County you have tohave a real good reason to get the permit to conseal and carry. Like a small business owner who transports large sums of money in a bad neighborhood. From what I have heard I guess anyone with a clean and clear record can get the permit for hunting and target shooting.
1. Handgun Course
2. Buy the application packet at your local Sheriffs office 10$
3. Fill out all paperwork with three references.
4. Make an appointment for the paperwork and prints, wait time 2 1/2 months
5. Money orders:
99.00 $
6. Your references will be contacted, thenthey will have to fill out a questionaire and send it back.
7. After all the paperwork is returned it will take about 1 month to recieve or be denied your permit.
8. Good Luck.

When I had taken my handgun course I was the only one there besides the instructor. He gives these classes all over the state and is very active in promoting our right to bear arms. In other words he knows what is going on throughout the state. He stated that conseal and carry permits arre no longer given to Johny Goodcitzen because he is a stand up guy who served our contry during a time of war. There needs to be a GOOD reason. Even if you do have a ligit reason because of a business you will be only issued a permit to carry during your business hours. The only way to get the all out conseal and carry you have to be a Police Officer or a Professional Security guard. There are exceptions but they are few and far inbetween. Good luck. I have my finger print appointment in a few weeks, I'm going for the target/hunting permit. Its good to her that there are some pro gun Judges out there as someone said earlier in a post.
Good luck man!! My post card was lost in the mail telling me I was approved. So if you think it is taking to long, just call and they will tell you what you are waiting for.

I hope you get a good judge. 2 out of the 3 have been know to just issue crarry permits. I happened to get a judge that doesn't at all.[:@]My buddy has a different judge and got one.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin
I think its a load of BS that I have to prove i have enough reason to exercise my second amendment right. Its my right as an american citizen, thats enough reason right there.
why do i want a carry permit? because i CAN, thats why
Well from whatI have heard you can carry butyou may loose your permit. In NY state Penal law there is no charge for carrying a concealed gun of you have a permit. I have had cops tell me that all that happens is a letter is sent to your judge who may revoke your permit.

I won't take that chance but I'm sure there are tons of people who do.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Spike

Do a search for Loose Leaf Law books. Their book "Firearms and Weapons Laws in NYS" will help.
Each county will screw up the laws in its own unique way.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: hand guns in new york

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.