Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF VS. Thompson >

NEF VS. Thompson

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF VS. Thompson

Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default NEF VS. Thompson

I was looking some more at calibers I like alot, and I am having the inclination to go with a single shot rifle that can interchange barrels. I know thompson does this, but I just found out that NEF does it as well. Buy your first rifle or shotgun, $199.00then send it in SANS the barrell with a check for 82 semoliens and they will fit whatever you want on it. Then, when you get it back, interchange the barrels from muzzleloader, to shotgun to rifle with barrels fitted properly to your action. At the tune of 82 bucks per barrell, I dont think it is all that bad!
Lets have some unabashed opinion on this! EJ
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NEF VS. Thompson

I would personally go with the Encore, I think they are a lot nicer gun, however they cost a lot more. The action will cost you about $250 and each barrel will cost you between $200 and $300. You can get some good deals on used barrels though. My dad has a Contender .410 pistol, he got a Thompson factory.223, 24" heavy barrel.That gun is balanced well and with the stock shape you can hold it very steady, like a thumb hole stock. This gun will also shoot a 1/2" group with winchester factory loads and my hand loads. If you get a ML barrel I would suggest stainless for cleaning and corrosion issues with black powder.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

YEah, more money usually means better gun, but I am poor. Do you ever see thompsons used for sale? I never have. I would prefer one over the NEF.
EJ
Old 06-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Actually I don't think I have ever seen a usedEncore for sale. I have seen some used Contenders for sale. If you decide to go with Thompson, I would get the Encore, you will have a lot more barrel options.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the GUNS site. There is one for sale on the first page and two for sale on the secound page.

hunter338
Old 06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Encore has more barrel options is better finished but not sure how much it outshoots an NEF rifle. It definitely has better resale value but then again it costs 3 x the price of a NEF.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Encore.There might be a reason why you don't see many used ones for sale.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Well, It seems as though NEF is getting this poor mans 200 bucks. The extra 100 to 150 bucks it would take to get the TC is too much of a reach for me. I am a full time student and I work full time as well, so time and money are at a premium. It doesnt appear that this little NEF will dissapoint. EJ
Old 06-20-2005, 04:09 PM

T/C is a far better gun in every imaginable way.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I did get to compare them side by side. The actions were equally smooth, the trigger was slightlybetter on the NEF, the over all finish was better on the TC. The TC was 530 bucks, the NEF was 199. Additional barrels for the NEF are 82 dollars, the TC barrels are 200 to 300 dollars. I wont argue the over all fit and finish of the TC, it is clearly superior. But not 230 dollars superior.
I just bought myself the .243tonight and plan to get the 270 and 45-70 barrels for it in the future.
Thanks for the input guys, Wish I could take everyones advice but poverty runs amok! EJ

Quick Reply: NEF VS. Thompson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.