Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Copper Removal >

Copper Removal

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Copper Removal

Old 06-13-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Copper Removal

How often should I use a copper solvent on my rifles(meaning after how many rounds should I get rid of the copper fouling) and which one do you reccomend?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:48 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Copper Removal

Every time you shoot, and Sweets.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:55 PM

I agree, after every shooting session. I have excellent results with Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you detect copper in your bore then you should remove it. Some barrels and cartridges tend to buildup copper more then others. Some good custom barrels build up copper at the first several shots and rarely build up copper after. I find that using Wipeout tells me whether there is copper in my bore. I also find that it takes a bore a long time to be copper free using Wipeout. Its a great product since it eliminates a lot of brushing just not as great on a heavy copper build up. I then will use Shooters choice copper cleaner or Sweets to remove it. Once a year I run my guns thru a Outers Foul OUt III if they have a propensity to copper up.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the rest, clean out any copper that shows up after each use of the rifle................otherwise, you'll just be multiplying your cleaning effort later on.

I like Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10 for copper removal - both do an excellent job. I've also begun to like the Outers Bore Foam sold at WalMart. Letting a squirt of that sit in the bore for 30 minutes tends to remove ALL traces of copper from my rifles.................However, it really does a poor job on carbon fouling though - so it's a mixed bag. One word of warning about using the bore foams......................don't use them in gas operated semi-auto firearms (unless you can close off the gas system from the bore) - otherwise the operating sytem will get gummed up pretty badly.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

There's a new sheriff in town.."TM"..seen them all, used them all..it is the best I've ever seen...period..nuff said.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

my personal favorite is coppermelt sold by brownells i hope this helps chad
Old 06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Frank. What is TM and who handles it? I quess I never heard of that one yet. Thank!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Spike

I am in contact with the original owner/Inventor of coppermelt. He has for some reason or other been running undercover.

If anyone has an interest in using coppermelt, I'm sure we can get some bottles out to you. Apparently, the product works like a charm,as i have been told, but production has suffered and supply is almost non existant. I do not know the formula, nor want to, so please be aware of this. i am only a go between for the time being.

pm me, and I will see what I can do for you.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Spike

Default Cleaning for copper?

I clean for copper every time I clean a rifle. I have tried several solvents and prefer Butch's Bore Shine.It's the quickest that I have found.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Quick Reply: Copper Removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.