Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Finishing a stock >

Finishing a stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finishing a stock

Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Finishing a stock

I just bought a gray laminate stock and would like to know the best way to finish it. It's going to be a range/groundhog gun, maybe some other occasional uses. Would just a clear satin outdoor suitable polyurathane be fine to coat the stock in? I've tried looking things up on the internet but all I find is for treating decks, or finishing fine furniture.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finishing a stock

I use a product call spar urathane gives a great finish and is water proof you can get it at wal-mart about $6.00 a can
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Default RE: Finishing a stock

I know that this is a really late posting but here goes...

I bought a boyds gray laminate and after fitting it to the barrelled action, I spent hours (literally) sanding it by hand or with a sanding block until it was smooth as glass. I ended up with several blisters out of the deal and one beautiful stock. The last grit on the sand paper was 500 or 640. I then applied linseed oil and rubbed it out after each coat had a chance to get tacky. I did 10 coats. More blisters again. Finally, I wanted to ensure that it wouldn't draw moisture so I tried to seal it with a matte finish polyurethane. Big mistake, huge mistake! The poly urethane wanted to bead up on the surface and gave a very uneven coating.

Guess what, yep, more blisters... I sanded it down and applied a few more layers of linseed oil and called it good.