Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ak47 Question >

Ak47 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ak47 Question

Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Ak47 Question

A buddy of mine just stopped by. He brought his AK out to pop off a few rounds. It is a standard Romanian AK47 semi auto only. He purchased this gun last year, and has never fired it, or messed with it at all. He popped off a few rounds, then a problem arose. Every so often, when you shoot, it will burst off 2-4 rounds. My guess is it is slam firing. Do you suppose the bolt is caked with crud, causing the firing pin to protrude? My other thought is cosmoline caked inside. He left here and was taking it to a smith. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 06-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ak47 Question

Sounds like slamfires to me too. I have heard horror stories about AK variants and SKS's slamfiring when the pin gets dirty. When I got mine it was caked to the gills with cosmoline. Too half a bottle of liquid Tide to get rid of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easiest way to clean the cosmoline from the metal is to let it sit in a bucket of kerosene for a few days agitating every so often. Off the wood is believe it or not Easy Off oven cleaner. You decide if you want the one that smells good or not and a scotchbrite pad.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 PM

He called me this evening. The bolt is caked with cosmoline. The firing pin was sticking causing it to slam fire. The smith said he will have it ready in a few days. It was actually quite impressive, and scary the first time it happened. I guess the moral of the story is, if you buy a gun that has been in storage for a long time, clean it very well before shooting it.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:33 AM

someting cool about the ak/sks (and other guns semi auto that a CEHAP) we "bumpfire" ours to make them sound and shoot like autos. put the gun to your hip, use the arm holding the foregrip for push the gun forward, then pull the trigger. Between you pullin forward and the recoil goin back the gun will bust off a 30rd clip in 3-4seconds =)

PS only do this to cheap guns caus eyou cant SCREW up a good AR-15 that way....... trust me
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

the bolt can be tough to get all of the cosmoline out, a good way is to boil it in water- the cosmoline will melt and float to the top, leaving bare metal.

PS only do this to cheap guns caus eyou cant SCREW up a good AR-15 that way....... trust me
Change that to 'only do this with a durable gun like a AK-47 or SKS because a AR-15 can't take that much abuse'
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM

hay SHoNUFF i got an old sks i gotta give that a try. this one will slam fire once in a while but i would like to empty a clip in full auto. and i don't want to have to buy a stamp for $250.00.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put several barreled actions for me and freinds in the parts washer for several hours .
The gun and bolts come out clean.

Johnch
Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Change that to 'only do this with a durable gun like a AK-47 or SKS because a AR-15 can't take that much abuse'
I've burst fired enough ammo through an M16A2 fast enough to melt the handguards and cause repeated cook-offs, and that rifle still shot fine afterward. The key to buying an AR-variant, IMO, is finding one that has a chrome lined bore and chamber like the Mil-Spec rifle. If your AR doesn't have a chromed bore, then throat life would be short. Of course, it should be pointed out that SKS' and AK's have chromed barrels. It is my opinion that any semi-auto rifle that is meant to be fired more than 3 rounds in rapid succession without cooling should have a chrome-lined bore. It add a small amount to the cost of the barrel, but is tenfold worth it for this type of application. I know that Rock River Arms offers the option of chrome lined bores with their AR rifles.

Mike