Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AK47

Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 PM

Default AK47

I've been sent to Iraq, and have come across an AK47, iwas wondering if any one has experience with them. Would it be worth while to try to bring it home? Is the cartridge any good for anything other than a defense round? I cant tell you how much i missed this site, it took a while to scrounge up a pc and figure a way to connect to the iternet. Thanks for any fed back......
Old 09-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: AK47

IF it is a selective-fire weapon, semi-auto or full-auto, which most military AK's are, you'd have to register it as a machine gun and pay the Federal tax to register it even if they'd let you bring it back, WHICH I DOUBT!! If you got caught trying to smuggle it, you'd be in deep kim-chee, as they say!

The AK is only good for what it was designed for, laying down a base of fire during an infantry assault with no requirtement for any precision or accuracy. I see no use for one of the things, except for a fun gun for shooting beer cans!

The CARTRIDGE is in the .30/30 class, and softpoint loads can be used for deer hunting, BUT the AK would not be legal ANYWHERE for such use if it is a full-auto. In NY, semi-autos are limited to six rounds total in the chamber and magazine combined, so you couldn't use an AK 30-round magazine for hunting either.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are issued an AR, the AK might be quite a bit more reliable though more crude. I think if the Corps wanted you to use one though, they would have issued one to you

There is probably a snowball's chance in a desert that they will let you bring it home.[:@]

The AK is only good for what it was designed for, laying down a base of fire during an infantry assault with no requirtement for any precision or accuracy. I see no use for one of the things, except for a fun gun for shooting beer cans!
Or defending your home/business from looters/rioters, or various other nogoodniks trying to get to you or your stuff. Accuracy? plentygood enough for an infantry rifle, it wouldn't be the most popular rifle in the world if it wasn't.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM

The Assault weapon ban will soon lapse.
Maybe only 6 bullets, but you can use a 50 round magazine soon.
Imagine the fear in the deers eyes...
Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would it be worth while to try to bring it home?
If you are military, unless they have changed General Order 1, you are prohibited from taking military arms as trophies. If you aren't then importation of a firearm is still a no-no under the current AWB and since AKs are select fire then they have to be registered as Class 3 and I don't think you could bring it in.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

it would be preaty cool to have one every if it was just a wall hanger. hell even if you could bring it home and use it. it would be preaty fun for plinkin on gophers. or yotes.

spray and prey
Old 09-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AK47.... don't try to bring it back!!

Urgent, furbman! I will forgo the good & bad qualities of this piece. You can't bring weapons or ammo back from there! Customs will lock you up! (Did MP customs duty over there.)
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 PM

Anybody remember Graneda? After the fight, a lowly little Marine captain flushed his career trying to smuggle one AK home. Then the admiral in charge of the operation landed his AC and they found over 20 AKs on board. The captain got a BCD, the admiral almost, but not quite, got a hand slap. Not a wise move at all, if you want an AK varient, buy a legal one here in the US.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

come home and buy one.......a GOOD one.....theres some pretty decint AK47 makers out there.....i shot a ton of semis and a few selective fire......accuracy isnt great...but they are fun to blast away with........i think ive had more problems with ar15 and m16s then aks that ive shot.......but ill take a good AR or 16 over a ak any day.......just certain guns had problems with shells, mags and gas pressure to work the action.....ones that we built were the ones that gave us trouble...but nothing that couldnt be touched up...which needs to be done before calling the guns finished anyways.....
Old 09-09-2004, 11:40 PM

Thank you all for the input, it is greatly apreciated...
I wasnt going to use it for deer hunting, i do have my "pets" at home to use....just thinking,,there is time to do that here, and yes i forgot about that full auto, class three problem, I'll just take more pictures and find something else for a "keep sake"

Quick Reply: AK47

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.