Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka owners, help me out here. >

Tikka owners, help me out here.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka owners, help me out here.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Tikka owners, help me out here.

i bought a tikka lite stainless in 7mm rem. mag. I have shot it on two different occasions, putting about 20 rounds through it at each time. The first time was at 50 yards, the 2nd time was at 100. i was using federal premium 150's. now i know they have a guarantee of 3 shots under 1 inch at 100 yards, and im not all that close to that. I know there is a lot of my error in there, but even so it seems like my groups should be tighter. anyone have any suggestions or do i just really suck? please be honest.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tikka owners, help me out here.

You may just really suck.

Try a few different loads to see if it likes something else better.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 PM

that may be it, but is there any way to rule out that its not the gun? i mean those 2 times were the first time ive ever shot a rifle before. but then again, ive shot shotguns before that and have generally been an okay shot. i just seem shaky, and i think that is my massive problem. any advice on how to get rid of that as well? but the main question here is if there is any way to prove the 3 shots within one inch guarantee without spending a whole lot for a sturdy stand or something like that.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A tikka T3 is not a heavy rifle so it would have a bit of kick to it. Have someone else more experienced shoot a group with it and compare the results. Then go over the rifle carefully. Look at and check all scope mounting screws. If after all this it still doesn't shoot then try another brand of ammo. But just tell yourself that if you are a decent shotgun shooter that this rifle actually has much less recoil although it would be much louder so make sure you have good ear protection. I wear ear plugs under my headphones.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
bigcountry

I have seen the same thing with the T3 on two occasions. I thought those guys sucked too, but I shot it, with result off top quality rests. But honestly seeing your experience a T3 is so light a 7mmremmag may be too much. It took me hundresds of rounds to handle recoil of that caliber (no pun).

Old 05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do as Terry said and have someone else shoot it for you to see if it does shoot good.

Another thing to do is have a buddy behind you (with out you watching) load one round at a time for you to shoot . Tell him to leave out a round one time and you will see real quick if you are flinching at the shot. When you are expecting a kick and it does not happen you will jerk the rifle when you pull the trigger if you have a flinching problem.

I had to do this to my son wwhen he went out to shoot his 30-06 for the first time. You just gotta let it kick you. It's not gonna hurt too bad.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how much experience you have shooting rifles and I don't what type of rest your shooting etc etc. Lots of variables involved.. YOu can have a 1/2 inch gun with some ammo and a 3" with another brand. I don't think the accuracy guarantees fine print covers all factory ammo. If you don't feel you have enough experience get a veteran shooter to help you out and try 2 or 3 different brands of ammo. If no success contact Beretta and tell them about it. I will say this its probably ammo or shooter error involved because finding a Tikka that doesn't shoots is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
bigcountry

a Tikka that doesn't shoots is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack.
Thats a joke right?

Old 05-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just going by what their owners say
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
DM

I know there is a lot of my error in there, but even so it seems like my groups should be tighter. anyone have any suggestions or do i just really suck? please be honest.
"Ok" i'll be honest.

You are a NEW "high powered rifle shooter" and have no idea how to shoot groups. You don't have the gear for it, and bought a high recoiling rifle.

How can you expect your new rifle to shoot it's best under those conditions??????

Your rifle probable does shoot under an inch, with the "right" ammo and with an "experenced" shooter who knows how to "read weather conditions and wind" and shoot groups.

BTW, factory rifles are tested in a wind free tunnel so they shoot there best.

Sight your new rifle in and don't worry about 1" groups for now! Then buy your self a decent "bolt action" 22 rim fire and practise, practise, practise!! Learn to shoot groups with that 22, and shoot it at 50, 75, and 100 yards, you will learn a LOT by doing that!!!

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: Tikka owners, help me out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.