Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal >

thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal

Old 09-18-2002, 05:14 PM

Default thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal

my friend wants to get into hunting but he doesn't want to spend alot on a gun/scope. i know your not suposed to be cheap but he just can't afford much. he was originaly going to get a 710 but i talked him out of that mighty fast. i have no hands on with the savage 111fcxp3 package deal however. i know savage makes accurate guns but i'm not sure what kind of scope it is. bushnell? does anyone have any hands on with this savage deal? he wants to get a gun in 30/06 or 7mm mag. let me know what u think about this gun if u have been to the range or in the field with one.

cheers
Old 09-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal

Personally I don't think anyone can go wrong with a Savage rifle
the scope is a Bushnell I think, not a great scope, but it will serve it's purpose. He can always get another scope sometime down the road. And you can never go wrong with a 30.06. The 7mm mag is a fine caliber too, but more expensive for shells at the local shop or store.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 09-18-2002, 06:57 PM

The Savage package guns make fine hunting rifles. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat them.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Not much to add, but if it was me and had a limited budget the .30-06, cheaper to shoot. You say he's a novice so he's realy going to have to shoot some to fet confidence and abitlity. Your friend owes you at least a 6 pack for stearing him away from the REM 710 <grin>
Old 09-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage package deal scopes are on the cheap side. But the Savage package will be stood behind by every retailer I have heard of. If you buy A Savage package, and the scope is faulty, just take it back to the retailer and ask for satisfaction. This happened to me 12 yrs ago at K-mart (of all places) and the Piece of crap Simmons was replaced with a slightly better piece of crap Tasco. But the Tasco rode atop the Savage for 3 yrs and perfomed just fine. Not cystal clear, and I gave up about 15 minutes of light at either end of the day...... but is was alright. Sometimes a retailer will allow you to "Swap up" to a better scope for a reasonable price.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:10 PM

thanks guys those where exactly the kind of reviews i was hopeing for. it's gonna be the 30/06 since ammo is cheaper and he can get cheap umc for practice too.

cheers

Old 09-18-2002, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The savage are plain but serviceable rifles and the scopes and mounts are marginal.I know of one fellow with the 30-06 and one with a 7mm mag and both rifles shoot fairly well.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine purchaced one from K-Mart about 1995 the scope and mounting system was junk. We went to the range, and the scope moved in it's rings. We tryed to tighten the rings, but did not work. Your friend may want to buy a Leupold mounting system. Good luck
Old 09-19-2002, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 Savages. All were package rifles and all except one still have the original scope. I changed out the stock on the 300 to make it more comfortable to shoot. All in all you can't beat the value and accuracy.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

..This is what i would do,buy a second hand Remington bolt
action if he looks hard he can find one,even if its not mint
condition say scratched up a little,with savage your just buying the gun,scope was junk,cheap 3-9-32 Simmons...go for a second hand rifle
winchester model 70 makes a all black gun about the same price as savage......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...

Quick Reply: thoughts on savage 111fcxp3 package deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.