Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How much extra range with 10ga >

How much extra range with 10ga

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How much extra range with 10ga

Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much extra range with 10ga

I was wondering how much extra range a 3 1/2" 10ga turkey load would get compared to a 3" 12ga. I think those NEF 10ga are pretty cool and I could justify the purchase if they gave me extra range. So how much do you think?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: How much extra range with 10ga

I am not sure you are going to get extra range, (I assume for geese?), but more knockdown. And its going to hurt.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will just get more pellets in the pattern than a 3" 12 gau, but normaly at a slower speed.
9 lbs is a lot of weight to lug around for 1 shot .
Also a lot of $$ for a gun and shells that is limited in use.

If you want extra pellets go with a Rem 870 12 gau supermag. You can shoot 2 3/4",3"or 3 1/2" shells .
Try and find more than 1 or 2 10 gau loads at most gun shops , will need to special order shells.

Johnch
Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be using it strictly for turkeys, but if it doesn't reach out any further than there's no use.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:05 PM
bigcountry

Well, for turkeys might be good. I automatically assume when people talk about 10Ga, they are talking geese. If you got a good 3" that patterns at 50 yards, I can't believe it would help you. But with turkeys, its alot to do with density. But there's always a better method I guess.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 AM

I can't speak for the patterning abilities of the guns but my buddy hunts with a browning 10 gauge pump, and I with the aft mention 870 super mag. Both can shoot the same loads, either the hi velocity load with 2 ounces or the standard speed 2.25 once offering from winchester, so I imagine they have roughly the same range, albeit the 10 may pattern better being it probably has a naturally better forcing cone (the gun makes my 12 gauge look like a 20 gauge.) The one nice thing about his 10 gauge it is weights 13 or so pounds so it really helps tame the recoil of 3.5 shells.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

with all the talk of the rhino/nitro combo and the amazing patterns from that.......why not do that to your 3 or 3 1/2 inch 12ga???? thats the way to get a good pattern from all ive read and seen on every msg board ive looked at........never heard anyone complain.....think you can do it under 200 bucks.....thatll reach out n touch them from what i read.........WAY better patterns been posted then ive ever seen.........
Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 AM

Speaking from experience, you will definitely get more penetration, and probably much denser patterns from a xtra full choked 10 than you will from a 3" twelve at 40 yds. and beyond.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I'm no expert, but what I understand is that my Mossberg 835 with ported, overbored barrel and 3.5" shell capabilities duplicates or comes close to duplicating the 10 ga. But, I think the real question is, Have you been passing up shots on a lot of birds that you think are out of range or missing shots you think should be in range? If the answer is "No", then stick with what you've got because it's working. If you answer yes, then I'd try patterning a few different loads and shot types and see if you can get what you want with what you have. It sounds like the extra $$ and effort of the 10 ga might only get you a sore shorlder and wallet.

Spud
Old 05-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is very little that a 10 gauge will do that a 3.5" 12 gauge won't do. Besides the shells are a lot more expensive and it kicks a lot harder. I have 2 3.5" 12 gauges and they kick hard enough. I can't imagine shooting a single shot 10 gauge.

Quick Reply: How much extra range with 10ga

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.