Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Asian Carp

Old 03-30-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Asian Carp

Watch out for asian carp in illinois waters! These big fish as adults can weigh 60 lbs and be 4 feet in length. These big fish are harmful to other fish and people as well. These fish can also jump out of the water and can be very harmful. If any spotted or caught freeze in a plastic bag and call illinois department of natural resources.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Asian Carp

why are they harmful to people??? we had them in missouri lakes ive caught several in pomme de terre lake, they never posed any problems there. And the colored folk and the asians would eat them ive heard if cooked the right way its just as good eatin as crappie or spoon bill. just curious how you figure they are harmful to people???
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM

TRodgers2007, I lived in Japan and Korea for a number of years. where Asian carp are common, and think you are being a little alarmist. I do not want to minimize the potential danger to the ecosystem that introduced non-native species can cuase but the idea that they are dangerous to people does not make sense to me. Although I have seen many Asian carp in ponds, lakes and streams in Japan I have never seen one jump out of the water and have never heard of a case where they have acted aggressively towards humans. Japanese anglers appreciate them for the fight they put up when hooked and how they taste when prepared properly. No one in Japan, or anyplace else in Asia, considers them a threat to humans.

Californiadoctor
Old 04-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this link to see the jumping behavior Silver carp exhibit here in the USA. http://www.protectyourwaters.net/Asiancarp.rm

They don't 'attack' people, they just jump into them. Getting hit upside the head by a 25lb fish is plenty dangerous.

Here's another link about the potential ecological impact the Asian carp may have. http://www.optimizethroughdesign.com/testpage.htm

(my solution... everybody should go bowfishing)

Here's a pic of my buddy Dave with a bighead carp... lots of tasty filets there.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

They don't 'attack' people, they just jump into them. Getting hit upside the head by a 25lb fish is plenty dangerous.
Yep.

jumping as aboat goes by-so the speed of the boat would be added to the speed of the fishs jump-+ weight etc.

a football helmet& a shotgun could be handy

Nice big bighead Av
Old 04-15-2005, 10:34 PM

There is a population of Silver carp in a lake I fish, Praire Rose State Park near Harlan,IA. last year when I took my boat out I was tooling around and they were just jumping all around me when ever I was running the motor. sometimes they hit to bottom of the boat one hit my Prop. It didn't do any damage to the '94 6hp Johnson but the silver carb was floating when I looked back I guess that would be one silver carp we won't have to worry about! I am sure they will have to kill off the lake in the next couple of years to get rid of them.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Typical Buck

They are great to bow shoot. They allso get well over the 60# range. Go to the KAW or the MO river in kansass.There are tons of them in the KAW. If the cats are not biteing you cann ALLWAYS snag or shoot the carp.

The meat on them is quite soft.I did not like the meat or tast.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:26 PM

I saw a report on the news about how they were ruining commerical fishing down in the lower Mississipi. If they reach the Great Lakes ecosystem it's going to be in big trouble. They've already made it to the lower end of Chicago. If they hit the Great Lakes I think that's something we should all be concerned about. Those stupid catfish farmers should have used more throught or at least more percaution before they brought them over here.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

"And the colored folk and the asians would eat them ive heard if cooked the right way its just as good eatin as crappie or spoon bill."

We sell....errrr....GIVE.... the carp we catch to a black guy and his wife that live up the road in Ft. Wayne. They LOVE 'em!