Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Asian Carp Symposium

Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Asian Carp Symposium

The Asian Carp Symposium starts tomorrow. http://wwwaux.cerc.cr.usgs.gov/MICRA/Asian%20Carp%20Symposium.htm

I'll be there representing both Carpbusters and the Illinois Bowfishers. Dave Randolph, Kendall and Robert Rice will beattending as well.

This should be a good time to promote bowfishing and work on some issues that affect oursportin IL and elsewhere. We'll be shaking a lot of hands and passing out a lot of info.

Anybody have any specific asian carp questions they would like posed tothe state and federal biologists?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Asian Carp Symposium

No specific questions here.

I do want to say, that I do feel that bowfishing, andall those who participate in it,are well represented by the above list of attendees.

Thank you for the time and effort you all put forth to do things such as this.

-Bulz
Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK too late.
There were some very interesting speakers and topics. The best one was duringthe lecture on poison rates to control Asian carp.
...at blah blah blah parts per million achieved blah blah percent lethality at 12 degrees centigrade...After about ten minutes of different rates at different temps, Dave leans over and says "32 inchesof fiberglass applied directly to thecarp achieves 100% mortality with no adverse affects to the surrounding native fish."

Maybe "uncle" Daveshould be a speaker at the next one! He'd do a great job.

Seriously this was a great way to meet many folks (some from as far away as China and Australia)dealing with the issue of controlling these invasive carps.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave leans over and says "32 inchesof fiberglass applied directly to thecarp achieves 100% mortality with no adverse affects to the surrounding native fish."
Hunters and fishermen, of which bowfishermen are both, have always been a cost-effective solution to the problem of keeping wildlife in balance, and it has no side-effects to boot. Heck, they even provide income to the DNR to manage the whole deal. Hard to beat.

Just check out the club's fish count.
-Bulz
Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Well said all-around!!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for everything you all do.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

32 inchesof fiberglass applied directly to thecarp achieves 100% mortality with no adverse affects to the surrounding native fish
Glad I wasn't there, I'd have been kicked out for creating a disturbance for laughing so hard. Unfortunately, I cannot see any reduction in asian carp numbers after five years of bowfishing around here.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Bowfishing alone is not going to solve the invasive fish problem in rivers. But we sure can have fun (and spend money) while trying.

Mr Chapman did stress the need to remove the reproducing adults. One silver carp female examined contained over 4 million eggs.Also the researchindicated that thehigh densities of the carp is reducing thier growth rate and overall size.(like up here on the Illinois River) So the more you shoot.... the bigger the potential sizefor the remaining carp.

So go out there and shoot a few thousand.

Me at the poster.

Kendall and Dave gleaning info from Duane Chapman.

Paul Brown from Australia bought an Illinois Bowfishers shirt to take back to his buddy down under. That's pretty cool.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL:

HOOOOOWEEEEEE!!!

Ain't you the perdiest thing!?!? Thought I'd have to get married again to see you in a dress!

And to think, it's for a carp-symposium...

You absolutley should be the president of this club!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not quite certain if 'looking good in a dress" is actually a requirement for being club pres, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Glad to hear it went well. Bowfishing may not be able to solve the carp problem by itself, but I'm going to try to do my part.
4 million, eh? I'm going to need a few more arrows.

Quick Reply: Asian Carp Symposium

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.