Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

[Deleted]

Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First Bass Tournament

I have never fished in one.
But I think it is a good idea to go and do some scouting of the lake you will be fishing on.
Maybe go a week or so ahead and do some test fishing to see how the fish bite.
Get a topo map of the lake.
And ask around the people that have fished the lake to see how and where they
came out on the lake .

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:38 PM

I fish 10 tournament a year they are fun. I would prefish the lake a couple days before and ask people that fish there what they have been catching them on
Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fish several tournys a year, and my best advice is to try and find the overlooked areas. I won a tournament at a lake last year in May, and I didnt go farther than 10 minutes away from the launch. By staying closer to the launch, you stand a chance of fishing more of the productive early morning times (topwaters, senkos, lipless crank baits). After the sun comes up and the topwater bite slacks off, look for points, channels, drop offs, weedlines, etc.

Also, most launches have a feature that is great. They have some type of cover around, or they have a wall in place to block the wakes from boats. And if there are only a few launches, all the bass from other tournaments get released at the launch, they will generally stage at that first peice of cover until the completely recover.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:18 PM

scotty is right pre fishing the lake is the best thing to do. dont go to the overfished areas if you can help it and keep at least 4 poles rigged and ready. i usually juggle anywhere from 4 to 8 set ups in a tournament. i always have a buzzbait ready as my go to lure for the mornings whichi do really well with and gotta have a good crankbait,lizard,pign jig handy as well. also make sure you know the temp fluctuation in your livewells. nothing sucks more then dead fish in the live well. oh yea and bring your luck with ya. it always helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:15 AM

my and my buddy fish quite a few tournaments every year. yes, what you're feeling is normal. im already getting excited for the upcoming season. just wait until you are sitting there in the boat waiting for the take-off -- thats when its gets real exciting. i alwasy get butterflies when im sitting there watching the boats take off ahead of us.

if i can give you one tip- this lure has won us more tournaments and more money over the last few years than every other lure combined -- 1/4oz Bitsy Flip jig with Zoom chunk or Yum trailer. Pick whatever color you are confident in- most seem to work if given the chance. Currently my confidence bait is the camo colored.

Good Luck
Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 PM

I havent fished in any tourneys before, but I have caught my fair share of nice bass on 1/4 oz. bitsy's...great little jig.