Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 I just started Fishing    Please Help >

I just started Fishing Please Help

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I just started Fishing Please Help

Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 AM

Default I just started Fishing Please Help

Ok well i just started fishing and i have a couple of questions if ya guys dont mind?

1: What is a good fishing poll for something in the range of $30- $100
2: What time of the day should i got fishing in the lakes near my house ? Not on a boat
3: What are some really good lours that i could use?

Thanks

Johnny
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Default RE: I just started Fishing Please Help

Well, before I can really give any advise I need you to give me a little more information.

1) Where are you fishing, meaning state and body of water?

2) What type/species of fish are you trying to catch?

3) I know you said you just started, but just how much experiance to you have with casting etc?

Just give us a little more to work with, and we will do our best to help.

Andy
Old 03-29-2004, 10:19 AM

i live in florida
im catcing and releasing so i dont mind catching any fish
im fishing in ponds, lakes, creeks
out of 10 i have about an 7 in casting...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:31 PM

Ahh, this helps thanks.....

OK, since you are in Fla, your main freshwater species are going to be largemouth bass, catfish, crappie, and bluegill.

A good multi-purpose rod for the price range you listed is Berkley's Cherrywood. Its about $30 at wal-mart of all places. I have over 100 rods, and it is still one of my favs.

You want to buy a rod that is about 6 1/2 feet in lenght. I would recommend a spinning rod as they are easier to cast than a bait caster. You should probably get a medium action rod. It has enough backbone to handle bigger bass, while also having enough play to enjoy catching panfish.

Some good baits to go with right now are lizzards. You can see spots from the shore where bass are making beds to lay eggs on. Lizzards and other water creatures eat the bass eggs, so by casting nearby, the mama bass will attack the lizzard, not eating it, but holding it in her mouth long enough for you to set the hook. Good baits for crappie include beetle spins and smaller jigging grubs. If this is a little bit too high maintainence for you just starting out, minnows are always a solid bet, as are night crawlers.

Find a buddy who has been fishing for a while and tag along with them. Also go into tackle shops and chew the fat with locals who are always willing to share tactics to eager ears. You might not learn all their secret spots, but they will usually tell you what they are using and what color.

Hope this helps. Stick with it, fishing can be frustrating at times, but have a little confidene in yourself and you will be addicted in no time.

If you have any other questions, shoot.

Andy
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

that sounds about right to me... i fish in florida also, and sometimes i have no luck and sometimes i do... it's hard to fish here without a boat because of all the growth near the shore. i usually like to use live bait and let it do its natural thing. shiners work good for ass, and minnow for crappie and bluegill. worms are also a good choice.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

For florida fishing for a beginner, i don't think you could go wrong with a 6'6" or 7' Ugly stik spinning rod in a medium action, and a $50 range spinning reel (shimano is my choice) that will hold around 150 yards of 8lb test. Later on I would look into more specialized setups if you really like fishing. My favorite bass rig is a 7' Medium heavy baitcater made of high modulus graphite (IM8 is good) and a low profile $100 baitcaster. For panfish I like 7'6" light action spinning outfits best. For shore fishing my tackle arsenal includes rubber worms, flukes and tubes. Floating rapalas work good and assorted topwaters. The best times I have foung for fishing from shore are in the morning and in the evening. Hopefully that helps some. Carpmaster
Old 04-04-2004, 11:29 AM

There is nothing that i can add. These guys have givin you some valuable information. Good luck on the water
Old 04-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree with Carp on the Shimano spinning reel. (I have 11 Shimano reels, including Curado and Citica casting reels, and Sedona Spinning reels). The Sedona is a great choice for you and runs about $50. I will disagree on the 7' Ugly Stick rods though. I would recommend a shorter rod around 6'. Ulgy stick is still a good choice though. The waters that I've seen in Florida, are very grown on the banks, and casting with a 7' rod could be troublesome. You may also want to look into a graphite spinning rod. They are lighter and more sensitive. You can find them for $20 - $30 online at bass pro shops, and of course, at wal mart. I believe wal mart even carries the Sedona spinning reels. And lastly, spool your reel with a quality monofilament line. Dont go for the $2 spools of line that have 700 yards. Stren, Trilene and other name brands make good line, and its worth spending $7 for 330 yards.