Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Frankenfish

Old 05-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Moderators have received a complaint from a member not involved in the discussion. Gentlemen, you can discuss the issue; argue about it and even claim the other guy is wrong. But you can't call each other names, insult the other guy's intelligence, etc. If the problem persists, I will break out my poof pen. Now play nice and argue this to the nth degree.

Taking off my moderator hat (that means anybody is free to disagree with this post after this sentence), my personal opinion is that bounties won't entirely eliminate any problem but they can help a lot. If the bounties are being paid out fraudulently, he whatever Game commission is paying the bounties out should start doing a better job of confirming the animal submitted meets the criteria. If somebody is fraudulently submitting an animal, then it should be a crime (may depend on how your state words the bounty laws) and prosecute the person. Killing all living creatures in a lake may work in some lakes but not necessarily in other water systems, such as a river. This procedure should also be a part of the solution. When any government simply says no to any possible partial solution to a problem, that agency is hamstringing their efforts to completely solve the problem.

Is this type of problem completely solvable? Probably not. It depends in part on catching people bringing illegal animals into our country and that seems to be a hit or miss proposition lately. Going back to the OP subject though, I personally think a bounty can be helpful if its' administered properly. It's like any other wildlife issue, first you study the problem and then figure out all of the proper steps to take to resolve the problem.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
My own feeling is bounties and rewards for hunting or fishing do help but dont accomplish the goal. Pigs are invasive animals in about half the states and as far as I know unlimited killing hasn't removed them all. Nature finds a way to continue especially when an invasive only has man as its predator. It had been shown that wild pigs cant be contained and when they do escape cant be eliminated totally. These snakeheads can breath air so they can exist outside water for a period of time. Once fully grown they dont have many enemies other than man. Most of the places where they have shown biologists killed off the lake in order to remove them.
That's kind of where I'm at. I don't think bounties will solve everything or all of the problem(s) but I think they can be a part of the solution. Properly administered of course.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

If they open up a bounty can I raise them in my pond then turn them in? Little side hustle.

-Jake
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

You disturber you. That might get you a visit from one of OT's co-workers.

On a side note, I wonder if the practice of a bounty would survive in many states (including CA) that are pretty much anti-hunting anyway.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
You disturber you. That might get you a visit from one of OT's co-workers.

On a side note, I wonder if the practice of a bounty would survive in many states (including CA) that are pretty much anti-hunting anyway.
Or OT himself. He must still have contacts and knows how to investigate. Mother nature is certainly incredible. During times of poor feed many animals retard breeding as a measure to allow the herd to survive. When feed is great they often breed right out of control. I doubt bounties would fly very long here in liberal Vermont. We have tons of coyotes and many have tried coyote tournaments and were stopped from the libs. When I grew up a dead deer was shown off on the hood of a car all over town then hung up in the front yard in the elm tree. All the elms are dead now and when you fill a deer tag it is expected that it will be hung in the garage and then lower the door. My how times have changed.