Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
replaced by lost rod.. >

replaced by lost rod..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

replaced by lost rod..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default replaced by lost rod..

I've been doing a little experimenting again..and have found I can get 80% hook ups using medium rods for worming instead of medium heavy..I mostly use the Carolina sweep method for hook setting where as most use the cross their eyes,,

Anyways I just got done my after church Walmart shopping and went to buy another Ugly Stick med., 7 footer..To my surprise every rod was crocked...The only 7 footer to my liking was a 90.00 micro guided Skeeter rod..you know the Yellow rods with the black handles..Those are medium rods..I plan to check it out tomorrow..This will strictly be my cranking rod..equipped with 10 pound Trilene on a Garcia Revo

Pics later [-;
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

good deal Chuck, i have not used any of the Skeet Reese rods, but they are put out by Wright & McGill, supposed to be good stuff, let us know how you like it, and being "micro-guided"
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

10-4 was planning on going tomorrow it's Tessera Worm and Spinnerbait Rod...I looked at the reviews and it received 5 stars..

I felt led to switch the last 2 fishing trips and go to the 7 foot medium..{While pitching} my hook set is very similar to the Carolina rig..feel the weight of the fish....follow through with a good sweeping hook set..The results were incredible..I also wanted a medium for crankbaiting...so I didn't look at the price tag..I simply wanted a straight rod..and comfortable rod..the only one I liked was this one..I hear it cast a mile which should be good for cranking..to be honest..it looks a little to flimsy for pitching / flipping..My intention was a cranking rod anyways..I'll get back with you all on this..
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I've been doing a little experimenting again..and have found I can get 80% hook ups using medium rods for worming instead of medium heavy..I mostly use the Carolina sweep method for hook setting where as most use the cross their eyes,,

Anyways I just got done my after church Walmart shopping and went to buy another Ugly Stick med., 7 footer..To my surprise every rod was crocked...The only 7 footer to my liking was a 90.00 micro guided Skeeter rod..you know the Yellow rods with the black handles..Those are medium rods..I plan to check it out tomorrow..This will strictly be my cranking rod..equipped with 10 pound Trilene on a Garcia Revo

Pics later [-;
Good deal Chuck.

I have not fished a Skeet Reese rod, but I have a good friend who really likes them.

I do really like the micro guides. I have a few rods with micro guides and I have custom tied a few micro guide rods. As long as temps are 35*+ I am all about them.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I threw a practice Hula Popper outside..on the lawn..I thought it lacked the umph ...feels like a decent pitching rod though..I have to let my boat cure for 24 hours...{ Will be ready tomorrow evening}If the weather cooperates I'll cast it for a while with a crankbait...and then catch a shoreline fish to see how it sets the hook.
Got a big backlash as well..and only half the distance..yikes..but it is a spinnerbait/worm rod..I will try pitching with it tomorrow..My Ugly Stick cast a mile...no kidding..it zings those cranks out there.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry Buck ..I missed your reply. Thanks for the reply..I'll give you guys a review tomorrow..My guess is it will be a good pitching rod..not sure about a crank..lacks the weight to be honest with ya..I think those micro guides and super sensitivity would be great for pitching...we will see...I lost the darn receipt ..I like the extended handle as well..another flipping goody for those hard to reach spots..
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

The Review

My boat is curing out ..fixed a leak yesterday so I chose to do a little shoreline fishing..I was to end up at the same place where my rod was taken from the boat lasr week..but to get there..you had to slide down hills and wade through water...

First, I tiedoon my DDBill Norman...LOL did not cast as far as the Ugly Stick and did not feel right bringing it back to the shoreline..After about 10 cast I tied on rubber worm and pegged a 1/8 ounce bullet sinker..I put rattles in her and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!She cast much farther than my other worm rods..

Of course , on the side of the rod it reads Spinnerbait/worm I guess they know what they are talking about...Bumping the worm back..was awesome .The bottom is primarily sand iand clay. With my other rods I hardly feel the bottom..

By the way..the other rods I'm comparing this one too are :\
G Loomis
Lightning Rod
Garcia
Diawa
Fenwick

I had brand new 10 pound Trilene Xl on and using the Garcia Revo S
On my 3rd cast right where I had my rod snatched out of the boat I feel a tap..The shock goes up my arm..I'm thinking this flimsy rod will need a little harder hook set so after watching it peel out about 8 foot
of line, maybe more I reared back and set the hook NEAT..The fempsy STOPS dead in it's track for a solid hook set..Whoa!!This is not just not your average schooling bass..I've tied into a decent hawg..With this rod I was playing the fish and the fish not playing me.I was in command..The rod has more than enough backbone...I didn't want the fish to jump straight up so I let her jump up at about a 45 degree angle to see it..Solid 7 pounder for sure..and then I felt a snip..the hook had torn loose from the inner mouth membrane..

ROD Comparisim....there is none,..It's in a class all by itself..BEST WORM ROD I"VE EVER FISHED WITH ..THANKYOU LORD..

Because of feeling the 'Snip' now I know what I'm doing wrong..I'm letting my fish run way to long. I will adjust that issue.

YES SIR,,,SHE'S A KEEPER..SHE FITS IN WELL..i LIKE THAT YELLOW...lol THIS IS IN MY BEDROOM..I BUILT A GUN SAFE IN MY WALL {-; YEP!! IN MY WALL. I HAVE A SEPARATE ROD RACK FOR PANFISH..THESE ARE STRICTLY BASS RODS...

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-24-2013 at 06:00 AM.