Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Best Worms and Colors >

Best Worms and Colors

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best Worms and Colors

Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best Worms and Colors

I have heard alot about redshad, june bug, or just black worms. Also trick worms and ribbon tailed. Is there really difference between all of them. I would think that a black worm would work the best since most central florida lakes are muddy. Let me hear your thoughts on the subject...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I only use one color...solid black...with a painted red split shot...and 4 mm glass rattle...
Been working for eons.

I 've caught them on other colors..electric blue, red shad, green etc, but black is it for now..
Old 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also up here anyways, we use slamanders in pumkinseed color. That color normally works good.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think color is a big deal....Here's why I use black...in the 1980s when I moved to FL..a fellow in a church I was visiting kept a journal on his bass he caught..he had over a 1000 for the year. I ask what lure..He said a Mann's blackberry worm..I bought some
And did very well.

Last year the local Bass Masters took a vote of their 100 plus members..and black won hands down..

So..I jumped on the band wagon and glad I have
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

It stands to reason I think.. We have water snakes and the baby ones are normally black in color. So it maybe why black works great on them? Who really knows? Just like our slamanders here that live in the water are a sort of green and are about the same size as the salamanders we use on them.. That maybe why some colors appear to be better than others? It is to hard to say for sure though.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I. Personally don't think it matters .today Matt andi used the same worm and line..I used a red split shot..his was unpainted..I used worm rattles..he didn't .We both had 10 hits each in 4 hours of fishing..I think if I would have used red shad..I would have had the same amount of hits...you use what you have the most confidence in.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know the largemouths much better than I do Chuck.. No question about it. In part because I never even tried to fish for them until just a few years ago because I got started in this online tourney..LOL I do know smallmouths pretty darn good though and they are very different to fish for. The are a lot of fun to catch with all the jumping and trying to throw the hook ect.. While the largemouths are still fairly new to most up here. They were stocked illegally and now some of our lakes have them along with some streams and rivers are having them turning up in them now as well.

I do know they will react to what the feed is best though. That is the same with all fish. Whatever they are feeding on is what they will be hitting the best on I believe anyways. The one I caught trout fishing was full of water beetles and nothing else.. I was surprised by this. That might be why it hit my trout spinner? When the alwives run up and spawn in the lake here they will be hitting the small ones hard. In the fall the whole lake is bubbling with them. Just before dark you will see them flicker with the silver sides. The fish all over the lake will be feeding on them then. It is like a smorgish board all heading down lake to make thier way out to sea. The entire lake will come to life once they start. It is pretty cool to see, but the fish are harder to get to bite. So even though I do not really know my largemouth bass fishing very well. I do think fishing something close to what they like to feed on will surely help..
Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Dominant Buck

No. Doubt Phil..I"m a "Match the hatch " man myself..Bass are for the most part aggressive fish and very territorial. They are also like most of us..opportunist...

I try to fish very quiet and let my black worm wiggle down inside the vegetated water. I believe the fish ..like you have said sees this 7 inch meal as a snake....maybe a giant leech...but for sure a nice easy meal.The rubber worm has always been known as the number one largemouth bass bait....Since I used a worm yesterday I may use a jig today..

Ii caught quite a few small mouths up north when I lived there for 22 years...I either caught them on fishing worms or shad darts ( small buck tail jig)

In my opinion one of the most important ways to catch more fish is to fish the lunar phases , and knowing when to fish the fronts.After today I won't fish until the full moon ..ln the off time is when I make repairs around the house....
Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find a lot of fish are that way if the bite is on.. Except for big fish which appear to be more finnicky.. Maybe it's just me that see it that way?? But like in my earlier post I am really just learning largemouth fishing so no arguement from me.

I also believe Chuck gave us Northerners a chance to use live bait? If that holds true I am thinking I now know where the big ones are hiding right now. I am not 100% sure though. I do know last summer I saw one very large fish break water and with bass and pickeral being the largest fish in that lake I am betting on a very large bass. I will be sending down some big shiners to find out if the wind is not blowing to hard. They are hiding around an underwater shoal that is down 14 feet. Although most are just off from it hovering in 22 feet of water at depth of 6 to 19 feeth. If they are bass and I can hook onto what I saw jumping last summer we are talking double digits for weight.. I am hoping this Tuesday will be a decent day to try it on them.. I can fish for white perch while letting a big shiner drift around below them..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-17-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..your Yankees may use live bait..whatever it takes to beat Buck...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.