Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Best Worms and Colors >

Best Worms and Colors

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Best Worms and Colors

Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe color makes a big difference it certain situations of bass fishing. Really depends on the season, activity, pressure, weather, and type of fishing that is occuring. Often times the 'match the hatch' idea works, but there are other times when the other end of the spectrum can be very effective. Often the baits/colors I fish are things I do not expect these fish to have seen anywhere else.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Chuck7 View Post
Yes sir..your Yankees may use live bait..whatever it takes to beat Buck...lol

LOL... It will not be just Buck if I can hook into any of them.. I know that they are in the lake and I am thinking I have found them. I have seen a 10 pounder that a co-worker and his wife caught out of that lake before. It looked like it ate 2 softballs.. LOL So with a whole lot of luck I will bring one or two of those up.. If so it might not count in the tourney because I will be putting it on the mantel over my fireplace..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Dominant Buck

it will count..hope ya get a 10 pounder Phil..I 'm believing for a 12 pounder..got some I'deas...(-:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I believe black is a great all purpose color...(-: black is beautiful...I heard that somewhere.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Majority of my summertime plastics are a variety of translucent colors.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I am planning on heading out in the morning.. It will be quite chilly early and then warming up.. The wind is coming out of the south.. So I will see if the fish will open thier mouth.. The early morning temp is suposed to be around 50 and then start warming up to mid 70s. I hope no wind for a while but even at 9 per hour I think I can handle that ok.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

When pitching to the reeds do you just usually just drop it in a hole and jig it a bit and then reel it in, or do you swim it back out to the boat. Just curious on some worming tips. Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Pitching......
I'm lazy..I simply stay about 12-15 feet off the shore...I pitch/try to hit a reed so my worm doesn't make a splash...plus I have a trick..to hard to explain on how to take a lot of the splash out..9/10 times the fish will literally suck up the bait without you even knowing it..so you need to watch and feel..if nothing happens ,don't be in a hurry.wait 2 or 3 seconds ..then slowly pick up the lure..slowly..because sometimes it may have it in her mouth..
Fishing like this..you can easily cover a mile of reeds in 3 hours..i use 10 pound mono fishing like this...I also go very light ALL the time...I use a black Trick worm with about a 1/16th ounce round split shot...The entire worm has a very natural presentation.When the worm is on the bottom I will slowly bounce it about 3 times ..then take it out slowly..many hits are why you are lifting..when that happens...I let her run about 1to 2 seconds then I pop her.
My next pitch will be about 4-5 feet away...When I know a fish is on ..this is what works for me..I visualize a 20 inch 5 pound fish (so I don't under or over set ) the hook...for me..just the right amount..too much..and I've torn the hooks out of their mouth..not enough..the barb is not even in the mouth...Ok..when she has it I reel down the slack and imagine a 5 pounder and bring it home....sometimes you have no time to wind down..you feel fish and she is going through the jungle..your left hand is out 2 feet with the slack line...at these times keep the slack hand out...and with all your might using your right hand set the hook with a QUICK pop

Flipping...also sit..but try to stand..flipping is work..sitting while flipping can cause you to miss fish on the hook set..I try to stand as much as i can..bad back..i use 20 pound Power Pro....now my boat is against the reeds...and I look for silver dollar sized holes to quietly lower the worm into..IF your worm keeps getting hung on the vegetation..I take it off and use a 1/4 ounce black/blue jig with a salty craw trailer r...I use Little Bitsy jigs..I'd rather use the 3/16 ounce but the hooks and that jig are much weaker..The hooks in the 1/4 ounce are perfect..I usually lightly bounce the jig up and down about 3times and SLOWLY lift up and try another spot about 3 feet away..During spawning I will mostly use 40 pound Power Pro..been broke off using 20 a couple times...never broke off using 40. When the bite is off...I will flip in the summer time as well..always a bass looking for a meal of minnows.
Jig fishing is different than the worm..as soon as I feel fish...I pop her..NO delays..when I do this I get perfect hook sets..when I delay..I believe the jig is loosely in her mouth and 9/10 times I ended up pulling the bait right out of her mouth..

Hope this helps,
C7

PS ..rod selection is very important...I was using a MH Gloomis rod last week and lost about 80 percent of my fish...I then used a Fenwick and Team Diawa...both are MH all 3 are 6 1/2 foot long..On the Team Diawa and Fenwick I was 100 per cent...Boated fish...so Use a rod that works.for you...name brand doesn't always mean fish in the boat.I took the Gloomis back to Bass Pro...

ALSO...
Let's do a 5.00 derby this Sat....meet me at 'our' place at Saddle Creek...at 6:15. I will have an extra scale in case you don't ..If you bring your own scale we will compare them. We only count fish 14 inches and bigger. Best 2 heaviest fish win. If you have an honest friend they are welcome..must be 100 per cent honest..with 100 great sportsmanship..99 won't cut it....Also because of possible differences in scales..must win by at least 1/2 pound or greater. This Sat. Should be tough..so one will need to be patient and not lose a single fish..wouldn't surprise me if a 2 pounder wins...

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-19-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice chuck. I'll be there this saturday for the derby. I'm gonna be going out tomorrow and thursday to practice up some and see if I can get a game plan for saturday. I'm looking forward to some serious fishing and learning some new stuff.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

C ya Sat....at 6:15....same docking place as last year..should be fun...(-:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.