Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
I had to cull a largemouth today.. >

I had to cull a largemouth today..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I had to cull a largemouth today..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Angry I had to cull a largemouth today..

Hi guys, I went trout fishing because it was to windy to take the boat out. I was standing on a beaver dam and caught a nice brookie on my first cast. Then on my second cast a decent size Largemouth Bass!! That is right a largemouth in a trout brook stream! Some how it had gotten over a beaver dam along with another one that got off next to shore! The one that got off was a little shorter but a lot fatter.. I hope that they didn't spawn in there yet and the one I culled was a male. No one needs them in a wild native trout stream!! I was truely trout fishing and ended up catching my limit of 5 pretty decent size brookies off the beaver dam just the same. That will not last for very long if those large mouths were to spawn up behind the beaver dam.. In a few years they would clean a brook like this one almost completely out of trout..I will post a pic of the trout and the bass later on. As I never took my camera with me. I wish I did as I saw my first ever baby woodcock today along with some baby ruffed grouse..

I had just measured the largemouth and it was 18 3/4 inches. I will be filleting it out and giving this one away.. I do not care for bass period..
Ok here is the pic.. The smallest brookie was 10 1/2 inches while the biggest was 14 3/4 inches..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice fish..do you gotta a weight on the bass,...I caught a similar one a few days ago..the bass looks like a spawned out female to me..mine was 18 1/2 and a tad over 3 pounds..my fish's gut was like your as well...she will fill it up this weekend as Monday will be a new moon. (-:
Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

No I never wieghed it yet.. I could but it wouldn't matter for as far as the tourney goes anyways. Remember, must release them and there is no way I would release anyone of them back into the trout stream.. I will see if I can run my trolling motor and find out how far up there I can actually go. There always was alot of lilly pads down by the lake there.. So who knows.. Maybe that monster is hiding out there right now. I will try and find out in the morning if there is no or little wind.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Perfect weekend to do it..how deep about is the water under the pads?

I plan to try out my new rod tomorrow,,my Fenwick was mailed out today..I save the tube it comes mailed in..it may come in handy..I showed my Gloomis to Matt..not a good idea..he's jealous...serious as a heart attack..he's going to get him one..I let my 82year old mother in law hold the rod.she says " That really is light" honestly I hope it holds up because the lightness concerns me..light as a feather.we will see..I'll fish with a worm so my odds of catching one ..is much better.

Your brookies kook very nice..wished I was there but happy for you. Wished you were here during the spawn ...your always welcome..As well as Buck

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't really remember how deep it is in there.. I am guessing around 2 feet mostly.. Maybe a little more in some areas most of it is pretty narrow with some wide openings. So hopefully I can get up into that mouth. I am thinking it may hold some pretty decent size bass. This area would be over looked when they hold the bass tourneys and they should be still spawning here right now..

I think your rod will hold up fine for you.. Hopefully you will get to find out tomorrow..

You never know i could actually end up down your way some spring and then you can show me how those darn baitcasters work. But, I am warning you not to ever let me touch one.. LOL

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-14-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Phil, glad to see something other than bass on here! Well not just bass anyways. Variety is the spice of life. Brook trout are some of my favorite trout to pursue. Glad you got the bass out of there, like you said, they don't belong in a native trout stream.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, no way will I let those bass get up into the stream if I can help it. I hope if they spawned that get washed back out in the spring. Better yet if we can get a fairly big rain and it washes them back over the beaver dam..

I enjoy some trout fishing from time to time as well as lake trout and those landlocks.. Of course every year the white perch is great to fish for..