Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Anyone fish Lake Gibson in Lakeland? >

Anyone fish Lake Gibson in Lakeland?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Anyone fish Lake Gibson in Lakeland?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone fish Lake Gibson in Lakeland?

I've taken the kayak out for the past few days and I've caught a few, but finding the fish has me very confused haha. Just wondering if anyone else has any luck on Lake Gibson.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Not this year...but I may be able to help...after you come out of the ramp ..head north to the lily pads..Horny Toad the day lights out of that 100 yds of pads..

2nd place..after you get your boat in the water follow the shoreline until it comes to the mayor bend..STOP...take a right..you will be going north..like your heading to the lily pads..go about 200 yds..the water will be around 5 feet...fish a worm and weedless spinnerbaits in the hydrilla..you are on a nice rock bar..these are my 2 best spots.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't fish it because of the boaters and jet skiers...too crowded....it's the cleanest lake in Lakeland..very pretty lake
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck7,

The people haven't been to bad but I can see a person wouldn't want to fish there. They seem to stay away from kayaks haha.

I do have a question about the second spot you were referring to. I know the lily pads are by the first couple of canals when you take a direct right from the boat ramp. Is the second place you were talking about way up by the deep hole in Gibson on the right shore line? I put up a depth map to see if I have it right.

Thanks,
Zach
Attached Thumbnails Anyone fish Lake Gibson in Lakeland?-gibson1.pdf  
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know that lake very good..I hear that the successful fishermen find the deep holes out there..I've never found them..

My 2nd spot....you keep on the same shoreline as the boat ramp heading in the direction of the Carpenter's Home Church...there is a sharp curve that turnsto the left..instead of turning to the left..shoot toward that rotten dock across the lake,But you are not going to go across,,go about 200 yds,,there is a rock bar,,,drift a rubber worm and chuck some weedless spinner baits..that lake this time of the year is generally only good the first 2 hours max..been very hot..Saddle Creek was off today as well....I'm going out tomorrow for a couple of hours..Saddle Creek...east side
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice C7. I'm gonna try t find that rock bar over by the west shore. I've only fished the north side of Gibson so far. I might try saddle creek tomorrow to. Recently I've been fishing Saddle Creek and catching a ton of tilapia, but it's time I get on some saddle creek bass haha.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I got 75 tilapia so far...since they sprayed it and killed all the vegetation the tilapia are much easier to catch...I'm getting ready to out ther in 1 1/2 hours..just to chill out and bump a rubber worm..

Have a great day...hope ya get a good one.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Chuck, I read about you luck on Saddle Creek today. Congrats! I went out on Lake Gibson today and caught three but I forgot the camera. All around 1-2 pounds each. I had 4 other bites and one monster "it felt like" get off. I'm gonna keep working at it there until I can't catch anything and then I'm gonna try to catch something at saddle creek.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If you know how to pitch..you can get them..I watched a 2 pounder attack my worm today in 6 inches of water..serious as a heart attack...I saw baby minnows jumping just off the shoreline...water crystal clear..I tossed a black worm on the minnows..in 2 seconds out of no where a black bass had hovered over the worm..and with it's vaccumn powered mouth sucked the worm up and started to disappear...I set the hook but she wrapped me up on a cat tail...