Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Crappie fishing

Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Crappie fishing

Anyone fishing for crappie ?And are you doing any good. I went out yesterday afternoon and caught 12 bass and 15 crappie not a bad first time out .I only fish farm ponds . I was using a small jig the colors were gray and black .
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Very god fishing..and some of them 'Farm Ponds" can be awesome..I used to have permission to fish a beautifyl set of ponds in MD ..There was a nice 8 pound bass taken out and mounted and still to this day..I've never seen such thick bluegills..Onefish wouold make a meal. The bass and crappie were fun as well..but the bluegill were outrageous.

I'm happy for ya ...I was raised on farm ponds and small creeks..alot of fun..Actually in FL ..they call every body of inland water a lake..no matter how big or small..Yesteerday's fish would be considered caught from a big pond.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Well I went out again today but the farm pond I fish at today had no crappie so I caught 8 bass 3 of them were in the 2 pound range .Nothing as big as what you caught but fun to caught non the less .I use to catch fish then release them .But now days i keep more since my heart attack that way i stay away from greasy foods. We fix our fish in smart oil which is suppose to be better for you .
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

A 2 pound bass is an excellent Indiana farm pond bass..shoot that is a good size here as well.If our bass taste good I'd be eatting them as well. I actually plan to fix a few anyways in a few weeks...but the way I cook them is not very healthy...

I generally buy salmon from Walmart and fix it about once a week.During the summer I plan to get a mess of bluegills..

Fishinf for bass in FL is like deer hunting in Indiana..I'd love to hunt Indiana or Illinois,,but for fishing..you can't beat FL.We are the bass capital of the world.I have many places to fish..I beleive our county alone has over 1000 lakes. The key of course is finding places without a boat ramp..I just slide my 12 foot jon down a bank..Last Sat.'s fish were caught in a small lake/big pond without a ramp..My son and I busted our butts getting the boat down a steep hill.i plan to put 2 handles on the front of the boat tomorrow.

It supposed to be nice this week but I'm getting a guilty conscience about neglecting the yard work..Tomorrow is yardwork and a trip to the rifle range with my sons..for a little pistol competition..My 357 Ruger 2 inch barrel revolver against his brand new Ruger 9 MM semi also a short barrel.

Have you ever soaked the crappie fillets in buttermilk before..it takes the mushy out for me..and the taste is outstanding..Of course it's probably not the best thing for your heart.

Have a nice evening.
Chuck and Lyn
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the catches.

The crappie bite has been very good for me lately. I can usually pull in about 10 in an hour and then head home. All of the crappie are over 12 inches for the most part. My freezer is full of them now so I havent been in almost a week. I enjoy catching crappie, but once you get on them, its almost too easy and there isnt much sport to it, so I've been trying for bass lately.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

12 inch crappies are a blast..I have"nt caught a speck all year..I went out once and struck out..But the bass have been on..(-; so I"m sticking with them