Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Went Jugging

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went Jugging

I bought some new toys called flagging jugs and tried them out for the first time on Sunday with 2 of my good buddies, one of whichhas never fished before. I only jugged for about 1-1.5 hours since the weather really kicked up but managed 3 nice cats.

Here is my buddy with his first ever fish while we wait on the jugs, a yellow bass

Here are the three cats(2,2,4)
Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Are any of those guys you Gangly??
C7
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

hahaha, nope. Here's one for you though. This is when we first arrived before the front moved in and chopped up the water pretty good.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks like you are having a blast...I'm very happy for you..can't wait to fish with you again..it's a shame you can't come in Feb. or March...I could guarantee you a lot of solid action.

They still have not started bedding yet so the best is yet to come.(-:

A.how fast will your boat go?
B.what size trolling motor do ya got?
C.does it start good?
Does your wife ride with you in the boat?

Hey..I'm a little jealous ok (- ;

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Ps.what is jugging?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

A.how fast will your boat go?
with all three of us guys in there, 2 ice chests, full live-well, and all of my equipment, it went about 38 MPH at around 80-90 percent throttle. I'm guessing with just me in it and calm waters it should break 40 but I doubt it would ever get over 42-43 unless i change up props or something.
B.what size trolling motor do ya got?

40 lbs
C.does it start good?

Starts instantly. Takes about 10 seconds to warm up (low idle until warm) but then runs perfectly.
Does your wife ride with you in the
boat?
During last summer we took the kids tubing a lot so she has been in the boat quite often. She hasn't ridden in it since the rebuild because the weather has been colder than she prefers. She does enjoy riding in the boat though so we will prolly spend quite a bit of time enjoying it this summer with the kids.

Jugging is basically a vertical trot line. You have a "jug" that floats on one end of the line, and a heavy weight on the other end. I place 4-5 hooks evenly spaced along the line and lower the weighted end over the side of the boat. Once the weight falls to the bottom, I pull out another 2-3 feet of line and secure the line to the jug. I know have a line that goes from the bottom of the water all the way to the top of the water, and baited hooks spaced evenly throughout the vertical line. I leave them where they are, go bass fishing, then come back to check the jug lines for catfish.

I have flagging jug lines with weights inserted into them so that when a catfish takes the bait and tries to go down, the internal weight slides to the bottom of the "jug" causing the "jug" to rest vertically up wards which indicates to me that a fish is on the line.

This link has jugs that are almost identical to mine so that you get a better understanding incase I did a poor job of explaining it.

http://www.jugfishing.net/flagging_juglines.html

Basically, its a way to cover the entire water column with one line when fishing for catfish. Texas law allows you to have no more than 5 hooks on any line with a total of 100 hooks in the water. This means that I can throw out 20 "jugs", with 5 hooks a piece, and cover large bodies of water quickly. It's not challenging at all once you find the catfish, but it sure is fun and allows you to fill the freezer fast with fish. I mainly bought them for Caden and I so that we can put them out before we go bass fishing.

Last edited by Gangly; 02-14-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice job explaining..I got it all...I thought it was something like that...(-;
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Gangly, I used to "jug" back in college at some of our sport fishing ponds, a cheap method I used was to buy 3-4 of the swimming pool noodle floats. Cut them into 10" or so pieces, and stick a PVC pipe through them. Drill a hole through one end and tie some catfish line to it. Put a big ole catfish hook on the other end and tip it with chicken livers wrapped in pantyhose, a live (small) bluegill, pieces of bluegill, etc. Set them out at dusk, let sit overnight and come back and check the next morning. I usually would put out quite a bit because the turtles would steal most of them.

However, every now and then, as you approach one, the noodle comes alive and you know you got a big 'ol catfish.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Very fun. I used to jug alot and its alot of fun