Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Interesting B.A.S.S. Mishap >

Interesting B.A.S.S. Mishap

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Interesting B.A.S.S. Mishap

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting B.A.S.S. Mishap

Nate Wellman was found cheating by B.A.S.S., asking his Co-Angler for a 4 lb Smallmouth that his dad would give the Co-Angler $1,000.00 for. The Co-Angler turned in Wellman.

Nate Wellman grew up not 30 minutes from my home and fished many of the same circuits and tournaments that I have been incorporated with.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, as his penalty is very minimal compared to others who have been disqualified for very much less.

"I dont know the man and my opinion of him and his decisions are not relevent.
What is relevent is the precedent that was set by B.A.S.S. officials in the past regarding rules violations. The rules are very clear, if you violate a rule, then you are disqualified for either the tournament or the tournament day. Ask Mike Iaconelli.

He was disqualified because he threw a temper tantrum after he found out that his fish were dead because a live well was not turned on. Ask Gerald Swindle, also disqualified because he ran on plane too close to another angler during the Bassmaster Classic and the top of the list, ask Kevin Van Dam. Kevin was disqualified before a tournament because he asked his co-angler, during practice, to run his gas motor while Kevin stood on the front deck looking for spawning bass because his trolling motor batteries had died.
I ask a simple and reasonable question, how can you set a precedent of zero tolerance for rule violations then allow a guy who tried to cheat get off with a small fine and probation. No forfitt, no ban, no blacklist, just a fine that is less then 10% of the winnings from that particular tournament."

A few links if you are more interested:

http://chrismcdonaldfishing.blogspot....html?spref=fb

http://www.thebasscollege.com/apps/f...ing-?page=last

Last edited by buckhunter14; 09-11-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Nate Wellman is a P*$$! and should've been BANNED FOR LIFE!!! The reason he was not is because his sponsors would bitch and at the last minute he claimed he was just kidding. His co-angler posted his story on several sites and stated that Wellman asked him more than once about paying for a fish. He went so far as to say his father carried several thousand dollars on him and would pay him at the ramp OR they could go out in the lake near dark and could make the payment then. That is NOT what a jokester says or does.

The guys a total TOOL and needs his candyazz beat! Besides, BASS and FLW both are nothing more than NASCAR/WWE on the water. What they've allowed pro bassing to become is REDICULOUS and it's no longer a gentlemans sport. It's like everything else now, especially in the outdoor industry... ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

Wellman couldn't catch a cold in a blizzard. Just another embarrassment in what has become a joke of an industry. THIS kind of crap is what happens when you get 6 and 7 digit payouts for winning the largest bass tournaments. These kids today have NO clue about learning their craft, becoming men and acting like the true legends who went before them (Bill Dance, Roland Martin, Rick Clunn, Billy Westmorland etc...)

I hate to admit it, but I don't even hope my sons get involved in tournament angling with any hopes of doing it at the college level.
HL
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Nate Wellman is a P*$$! and should've been BANNED FOR LIFE!!! The reason he was not is because his sponsors would bitch and at the last minute he claimed he was just kidding. His co-angler posted his story on several sites and stated that Wellman asked him more than once about paying for a fish. He went so far as to say his father carried several thousand dollars on him and would pay him at the ramp OR they could go out in the lake near dark and could make the payment then. That is NOT what a jokester says or does.

The guys a total TOOL and needs his candyazz beat! Besides, BASS and FLW both are nothing more than NASCAR/WWE on the water. What they've allowed pro bassing to become is REDICULOUS and it's no longer a gentlemans sport. It's like everything else now, especially in the outdoor industry... ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

Wellman couldn't catch a cold in a blizzard. Just another embarrassment in what has become a joke of an industry. THIS kind of crap is what happens when you get 6 and 7 digit payouts for winning the largest bass tournaments. These kids today have NO clue about learning their craft, becoming men and acting like the true legends who went before them (Bill Dance, Roland Martin, Rick Clunn, Billy Westmorland etc...)

I hate to admit it, but I don't even hope my sons get involved in tournament angling with any hopes of doing it at the college level.
HL
It is obvious, as you said, that he wasn't kidding. It is very disappointing to see how BASS has handled this situation.

I agree about the current situations going on in the tournament circuits. It is a double-edged sword. I have met many anglers in small circuits that "no longer fish for fun". They seriously have green in their eyes, and I do not believe that these individuals will ever make it to big (and these fisherman are much better tournament bass fisherman that I am, I am not tooting my horn). As a baseball pun, "for the love of the game" has to come into effect... It is sad to see what money can do to a sport.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like Mr. Ray Scott himself thinks this situation is being handled like crap. Joe Stois (the angler who Wellman offered the money to) posted of a phone call he got from Mr. Scott recently: http://bassboattalk.com/f2/ray-scott...morning-13933/

Sad to see Jerry McKinnis and Co. are off to a start like this with their newly acquired BASS. Jerry KNOWS better, or at least used to!
HL