Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Buffdmac's Birthday Today.. >

Buffdmac's Birthday Today..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Buffdmac's Birthday Today..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Aaron..I had a pro pulled up right after I boated my 8th fish..I watched him for 30 minutes..and I learned some valuable stuff..I saw this before but needed a reminder..
He ignored the stuff I generally flip and flipped insane stuff..like cover with no entrance in water about 12 inches deep..ALL of his fish were HUGE..He took his time and covered the shoreline extremely carefull covering every inch..He fished like most of us bow hunt..I was impressed and it changed this years strategy totally. FORGET flourao carbon..I'll only need Power Pro for this kind of fishing./

My wife needs me home more now..but I will be doing more quality fishing ..about once a week...maybe twice..coverning less water but more thoroughly...HUGE lesson.. I saw this done before but I'd forgotten..I really studied this guy yesterday..he was simply using a big worm with a big weight to break a hole through dead reeds laying around the edge..takes a ton of patience..when you got 1-2 pounders schooling near by..but they must be ignored if your going for a wall hanger..This year..my goal is big fish ...I had fun with little fish yesterday..that was fun but not nearly the excitement I saw this man having..
Sounds like a slow but beneficial way to fish. Its amazing that those fish were that shallow with the weather being fairly cold still, but its hard to argue with the man's results, haha. What is the water temp sitting at in your neck of the woods Chuck?

Second lesson I learned from your post is that he was flipping and pitching with a worm. I have never really done that with a worm. You see, underhand pitching is my nemisis, I get so many birds nests doing it that I all but gave up on it, espcially since most of this past year was fished from the bank. I will have to try it again with my new Curado's and see if it isnt any easier. I know Ardent makes a flip n pitch real (great reviews from what I have read, but pricey $$$) that is Denny Brauer's signiture reel and I have thought a lot about it, but its just not something that I want to invest too heavily into if I dont get many oppurtunities to utilize the technique. Maybe a birthday/christmas gift to myself.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Gangly...

Flipping is easier to do with a open faced spin reel..but with those giants GREEN as can be..I'd rather have a baitcaster..plus the button is easier to push if you have to..
You should be getting no birds nest..you strip about 12 foot of line when pitching and the reel is locked ..you are not casting of any kind..

Flipping is the same way..buy you are gently jigging a lure vertical...no casting what so ever..you have about 8 foot of line hanging out.

Water temp..not sure air was 70s

in still pits though on the north end..water temps will be warmer than the rest of the lake

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

We must view flipping and pitching differently then. I've always found flipping to be when you pull off a certain length of line, about arms length, while the lure hangs about rods length down, and use that to flip the lure to where you want. THis is with the spool locked. Basically swinging the lure out to where you want it to be using only the line that you were holding in your non casting hand, combined with the length of line that th lure was hanging from the end of the rod tip with.

Pitching is much like flipping, but using a free running spool to get the distance you need after swinging the lure out from you. You basically modulate the line speed with your thumb, or have the bait caster set up properly to feed the line out with as little spool resistance as possible while still controlling "professional over-run". Shaw Grigsby, Denny Brauer, Derrick Remitz, and others have done videos on it that are pretty good. I can't access them from work, but I can send a link from home tonight if I remember.

Last edited by Gangly; 02-07-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

We must view flipping and pitching differently then. I've always found flipping to be when you pull off a certain length of line, about arms length, while the lure hangs about rods length down, and use that to flip the lure to where you want.
This is correct..you threw me when you mentined back lash..
THis is with the spool locked. Basically swinging the lure out to where you want it to be using only the line that you were holding in your non casting hand, combined with the length of line that th lure was hanging from the end of the rod tip with.
Correct..we are on the same page [ -;

Pitching is much like flipping, but using a free running spool to get the distance you need after swinging the lure out from you. Yes sir..I only came back because I thought you said you had trouble with backashes fishing this technique..To be honest Aaron..about all of our tournament fishermen fish this style in our lakes.You basically modulate the line speed with your thumb, or have the bait caster set up properly to feed the line out with as little spool resistance as possible while still controlling "professional over-run". Shaw Grigsby, Denny Brauer, Derrick Remitz, and others have done videos on it that are pretty good. I can't access them from work, but I can send a link from home tonight if I remember.

No need to partner..we are on the same page..I've been flipping since the late 1980s..it just takes a lot of patience to fish in those hard to reach areas..I will be working on those this year..you can't even sit in the boat..you must stand and reach..but this style pays high dividends. { -;
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must have been mistaken or read the post incorrectly, sorry Chuck.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

No problem...actually..if this tourney was for money..I would not have shared this secret..it's a lot of work and most weekend warriors won't do it long..smaller fish are easier to catch.,.This styl eof fishing is work..tough on your back..arms..and when she boils..your nerves.WARNING..can probably cause a heartattack..the fight is very violent cause a green 10 pounder 6 feet from the boat wrapped up in reeds or pads..is a trip..

no doubt..this is the best big bass secret I know..next time out I plan to alternate between a worm and a flipping jig..Presently I have 20 pound Power Pro on..I may need to go 30..we will see...This is the only style I'll be fishing fo rmost of the year. After may..I'll try deep water carolina and jig..some spinner bait and Horny toad.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish you the best, hopefully you pull out some pretty large LMB's and post pictures for us to see. Nothing quite like nailing a big one on a jig or worm, the "tap" is simply a great feeling
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Well...the jig is much easier when your flipping..a tap..is a fish..you know it's in her mouth.,..

I'll still be using the pull set but instead of imagining a 5 pounder..I'm thinking 10..It' my understanding that this lake was shocked a couple of years ago and they found 2 fish in the 20 pound range..this is a very old lake..they have actually dug up indian dug outs..

My first year fishing this pit off the lake..I had a huge bass surface and straighten the hook on my lure..This kind of fishin is very exciiting.

Gangly..note this video..the man is flipping a jig..and catches a 25 pound bass..It was foul hooked..Listen to the drag when he sets the hook..This is very important when fishing for hawgs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrvmVmwTcYo

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.