Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

B B Tips

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW Robin..The Bloodknot is the best...now I know what knot to tie when I meet up with Big Bertha thanks to Bukhunter14...{ -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
WOW Robin..The Bloodknot is the best...now I know what knot to tie when I meet up with Big Bertha thanks to Bukhunter14...{ -;
PM sent....
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love using collored line, HiViz (high visibility) as it is referred to. SO I will use this blood knot to connect a leader in most situations.

Chuck, if you are wanting to carolina rig and still use a blood knot here is what I do.

Worm and Hook --> Floro leader --> Blood knot --> glass or plastic Bead (put on before completeing the blood knot) --> weight --> mainline

The bead will stop the stop the weight and allow much less abrasion to the line/knot.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Buck...what know do you use to tie the hook to the Floro leader?? That is where I get broken off as well as 1000s of other fishermen I've read about..It's hard to find a good knot for floro carbon..

FACT..if my memory serves me right ..well let's go back to last year..

Fishing Trip One..bought some Trilene Flouro Carbon ..tied on spinnerbait using the Improved Clinch knot..I watched a 4 - 5 pounder in clear water inhale my bait..I set the hook..drag was set nicely..first run..she's off..} -; I'm thinking what the HECK!! I looked at the line..hook had came untied..

Second Trip..I was worming and dragging a shiner behind the boat..BAM! big fish inhaled shiner.Drag set nicely..and working fine..rod doubles over..HEAVY fish but drag is workingggggg Then..slaacckk! goes the line. I NEVER LITTER ! except for this one outing. I haven't had an anger outbreak in a while but I was very TICKED OFF. I reached into my bag and grabbed that spool of Floro Carbon and threw it in the pit. I was done with FLouro Carbon. Again..the hook had come untied.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck...what know do you use to tie the hook to the Floro leader?? That is where I get broken off as well as 1000s of other fishermen I've read about..It's hard to find a good knot for floro carbon..

FACT..if my memory serves me right ..well let's go back to last year..

Fishing Trip One..bought some Trilene Flouro Carbon ..tied on spinnerbait using the Improved Clinch knot..I watched a 4 - 5 pounder in clear water inhale my bait..I set the hook..drag was set nicely..first run..she's off..} -; I'm thinking what the HECK!! I looked at the line..hook had came untied..

Second Trip..I was worming and dragging a shiner behind the boat..BAM! big fish inhaled shiner.Drag set nicely..and working fine..rod doubles over..HEAVY fish but drag is workingggggg Then..slaacckk! goes the line. I NEVER LITTER ! except for this one outing. I haven't had an anger outbreak in a while but I was very TICKED OFF. I reached into my bag and grabbed that spool of Floro Carbon and threw it in the pit. I was done with FLouro Carbon. Again..the hook had come untied.

Hook is coming untied or breaking off?

I use the improved cinch knot but it often takes 2-3 attempts before I get a knot I like. I put ALOT of pressure on it too after tying it because floro does tend to like to snap in some knot situations.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I listened to pros this morning about 2 hours...I was reminded of a few things...and also I want to try the Drop Shot technique...

The knot most pros use that don't come undone is the Uni Knot..looked very difficult for me..your blood knot is awesome..If I can't learn the Uni Knot..for the hook..I'll stick with the Palamar Knot..

You ask about coming unhooked..they knot untied..According to the pros this is very common with flouro carbon and the reason I'm researching knots now..so that won't happen with Big Bertha.

HERE I FOUND IT..the best knot for Flouro Carbon..I can't get it but listin to this bass guide..great knot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI

Good News {-; thank you Lord..on that KNOT link I posted a few post backs..it shows you in steps how to tie this knot..SO this week I plan to master 2 knots ..the blood knot to join the leader and the Uni knot to tie on the hook..you only get about one chance a year..why blow it on a break off. Also..the demonstration on my knot link is much easier to learn than the youtube video..Video is still good though.Guys, in the video the guide made a mistake..he called his knot the Double Uni Knot..this is incorrect ..as the Double Uni Knot joins to lines together..the knot he is demonstrating is the one you tie to a hook.that is simply a Uni Knot..
MY ANIMATED KNOT LINK IS ON POST # 20.

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-22-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ok..Uni KNot mastered..only took me 3 tries..piece of cake..Blood knot will take about 10 tries..not too hard .but still need the illustration..Uni Knot by the link I posted..easy as pumpkin pie.{ -; can do it blind folded..and it's quick
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

YES, I can tie the Uni Knot blind folded..
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

#3 Guys..I didn't keep alot of data last year except for one thing.It's no coincidence..fish bite a whole lot more the 4 days prior of the new moon and full moon..that is a fact..I probably won't even bother fishing the other days much unless I just need to get out of the house or unless it's the week they are spawning. The big ones are much more vulnerable at this time.

NOTE..I don't do good on the new or full moons.only the days leading up to them.
I will agree that the fish are more active then as a rule. However I have gone on these other days where fishing is real slow. I have hit some pretty decent size fish on those days as well. It takes alot longer to get a bite. But as long as the water is not real rough I will be found out there. Catching a fish or not never really matters alot to me. It is simply great to be out there enjoying what you can do. Sometimes I just set out there fishing thinking how lucky I am not to be in a city. With little chance to do what we can do most any day of the week. Those big ones will still hit if your lure is presented just right for them.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I connect my leaders with a Double Uni. I make sure that the larger diameter line is wrapped atleast 6 times around the thinner diameter line and have never had an issue.

1) The reason for the 6 times rule is because of something I read a while back from one of the line manufacturers staing that with the smaller diamter braid being attached to the larger diameter flouro, that the flouro would need to be wrapped 6 times around the thinner diameter braid to assure that the knot does not slip.

2) Also, when using flouro, make sure that you wet the line before cinching the knot down, this is critical. The friction created from the lines tightening down on themselves is enough to cause heat and abrasion damge to the knot making it much weaker than the advertised rating. I know some fishermen have actually used vaseline on their knots to keep the friction low when tightening down the knot.

3) Also, make sure that you are getting Flouro LEADER material for use as leaders. They are designed with different charateristics than regular flouro. So many anglers got on the "Hate Berkley Vanish" bandwagon because it would snap easier than some other flouro's when used as a leader. Berkley actually had Vanish Leader Material that was constructed differently than the regular Vanish Flouro, but nobody wanted to pay the premium price for it adn instead used the regular line and had poor results. The actual Vanish Leader Material is more expensive, but it is AWESOME line. Look to see if you can find specific flouro leader material if you are purely using it as a leader, there is a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.