Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Canada?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Canada?

We're heading to Canada this summer, about 14hrs from Pa. We're torn between July and August. From what i've heard the fishing is better in July but the black flies are worse. August has calmer temps and less flies. Is this true? Our main goal is to boat good numbers of smallmouth, walleye and pike . Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Inactive

Where are you going to be fishing ? The locale will determine the amount of blackflies. As soon as the temps rise and remain hot for a week or so, they disappear.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

We'll be at Gowganda lake, about 2 hours north of Sudbury. Thanks

Last edited by fatsbucknut; 01-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fatsbucknut
We'll be at Gowganda lake, about 2 hours north of Sudbury. Thanks
My Dad and I have been going to a lodge for the past 18 years that is 8 miles from Gowganda. Unfortunately, the lodge will be for sale soon, because the owners are getting a divorce. We always hit the tackle shop in Gowganda for live bait every time we go up. Very nice people. You should be okay in July as far as black flies go. It depends on the weather. As x-mountie pointed out, they will be gone a week after the first warm up. We've been up there the beginning of July, and had no problems with them.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can not say alot about Canada but here in Me. the smallmouth fishing is very active during August.. The lakes have warmed up enough to get them going good.. I know nothing about the pike or walleye fishing as we do not have them in my area.. But if pike act like pickeral you should be doing fine with them during august as well.. So IMO you most likely would be well suited to fish late July or early August.. As stated though it would depend alot on the weather...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bow-4-It
My Dad and I have been going to a lodge for the past 18 years that is 8 miles from Gowganda. Unfortunately, the lodge will be for sale soon, because the owners are getting a divorce. We always hit the tackle shop in Gowganda for live bait every time we go up. Very nice people. You should be okay in July as far as black flies go. It depends on the weather. As x-mountie pointed out, they will be gone a week after the first warm up. We've been up there the beginning of July, and had no problems with them.

What lodge do you guys usually go to? Is the fishing good in the area? Thank alot
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fatsbucknut
What lodge do you guys usually go to? Is the fishing good in the area? Thank alot
Lost Lake Wilderness Lodge. They have a website, and they are at the Sportsmans Show in Harrisburg every year. Fishing is okay there, but I can't compare it to any other place in the area because that is the only lodge my Dad and I have been going to for the past 18 years. We have become such good friends with the owners and their family, that we sorta feel obligated not to change and go elsewhere. But like I said, the owners are getting a divorce and going to put the lodge up for sale soon, so I don't know what will happen after that or when. But I do know that it will be business as usual until then.

We do catch a decent amount of fish due the the fact that we have been going back so many times and know some of the spots now. Whereever you end up going, definately take a portable fish finder with you. Not to nessecarily mark fish, but it will let you know exactly what depths you are over, and point out drop offs and humps which are hot spots for walleye. If you go towards the end of July or August, don't expect to catch many numbers of big pike. They go deep once the water warms. The best time for them are the end of May beginning of June, but then you run the risk of running into black flies.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Black flies are only in may, followed by mosquitoes just after. July, in the woods, Deer Flies can be bad. On the water no flies will bother you either month. August has cooler nights but still comfortable. Unless you are going for a nature hike in the woods during the day, either month is good. Personally, August is my favorite for camping. June will have mosquitoes mainly when the sun goes down or up, August won't.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

AB isnt bad for black flies its the mosquitoes you have to worry about lol. The pike should be going good mid july on, seems early season tends to be slow..
Old 01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

I've fished all over Quebec for years. The black flies are generally at their worse through June and then dwindle gradually. We mainly fish for Walleye and some Pike Fishing midday. We have had tremendous luck most years but every once in a while its just not a good fishing week.

In July the walleye are a little less concentrated and they start to suspend in deeper waters. Once you find them its fine, but it might take a day or two. Be sure to ask the guys who are checking out when you get there. Not always reliable but it can be helpful. One time we asked two guys who were leaving an outpost how the fishing was. They replied the worse fishing they had ever seen, they doubted there was any fish in the entire lake.

We caught over 100 walleye that very night (returned most of them to the drink).

Wildbill51