Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Trout streams in Tioga county Pa >

Trout streams in Tioga county Pa

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Trout streams in Tioga county Pa

Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 AM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Bow-4-It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tioga, Pa
Posts: 454
Default Trout streams in Tioga county Pa

Moving to Tioga county in a couple of weeks...between Tioga and Middlebury Center near Hammond/Tioga Res. I know there are quite a few trout streams up there, but since i'm new to the area, i'm looking for some help as far as which ones I should fish and which ones I shouldn't waste my time with. Not a fly fisherman....yet....but plan on learning this spring. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....Dave
Bow-4-It is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
crokit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: elmira ny
Posts: 1,676
Default

If it was me, I'd concentrate in the area of Galeton/Wellsboro [ Pine Creek and Cedar creek. State college area { Spring Creek, Fishing Creek, Penns creek, Spruce Creek. }. I'd also get a NY fish license and fish the upper waters of the Gennessee River from Wellsville ny to Pa. Border.

Your within a two hour drive of some of the best fishing both states has to offer.
crokit is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM
  #3  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Bow-4-It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tioga, Pa
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by crokit View Post
If it was me, I'd concentrate in the area of Galeton/Wellsboro [ Pine Creek and Cedar creek. State college area { Spring Creek, Fishing Creek, Penns creek, Spruce Creek. }. I'd also get a NY fish license and fish the upper waters of the Gennessee River from Wellsville ny to Pa. Border.

Your within a two hour drive of some of the best fishing both states has to offer.
Thanks crokit...I appreciate it. I definately plan on getting my NY license also. I used to fish alot in the Salmon River and surrounding creeks up in Pulaski...haven't been up there in about 20 years...and really miss that alot. I want to learn to fly fish for steelhead. That looks like a freaking blast!
Bow-4-It is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,085
Default

The Cowanesque River along Rt 49 upstream of Knoxville is quite heavily stocked and produces good early season fishing, albeit mostly put/take..

Pine Creek and it's tributaries are nationally famous..The creek itself is heavily stocked and many of its tributaries, such as Long Run,Asaph Run and Pheonix Run brovide good fishing for brookies, both stocked and wild..

The Genessee River is excellent on EITHER side of the border..As Crokit mentioned, it's a wonderfull trout stream from the PA border to Wellsville, but all three branches south of the PA border are great streams in thier own right...

If you want to branch out a little further south and west, there are dozens of great streams like Young Woman's Creek , Kettle Creek, and many others..

If you get your NY license, The Cohocton River upstream of Bath is a blue ribbon trout stream... It and it's tributaries hold plenty of beautiful wild and holdover browns..

If you want steelheads and don't want to drive all the way to Pulaski, there are many excellent steelhead streams flowing out of lake Erie, both in PA near Erie, and in western NY...

I could go on and on... Trout fishing opportunities within a fairly short drive of that area are practically limitless...
Pygmy is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Bow-4-It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tioga, Pa
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
The Cowanesque River along Rt 49 upstream of Knoxville is quite heavily stocked and produces good early season fishing, albeit mostly put/take..

Pine Creek and it's tributaries are nationally famous..The creek itself is heavily stocked and many of its tributaries, such as Long Run,Asaph Run and Pheonix Run brovide good fishing for brookies, both stocked and wild..

The Genessee River is excellent on EITHER side of the border..As Crokit mentioned, it's a wonderfull trout stream from the PA border to Wellsville, but all three branches south of the PA border are great streams in thier own right...

If you want to branch out a little further south and west, there are dozens of great streams like Young Woman's Creek , Kettle Creek, and many others..

If you get your NY license, The Cohocton River upstream of Bath is a blue ribbon trout stream... It and it's tributaries hold plenty of beautiful wild and holdover browns..

If you want steelheads and don't want to drive all the way to Pulaski, there are many excellent steelhead streams flowing out of lake Erie, both in PA near Erie, and in western NY...

I could go on and on... Trout fishing opportunities within a fairly short drive of that area are practically limitless...
Exellent info pygmy! Thanks alot. I bought freshwater stream maps for Pa and N.Y last year, and after I get moved into my new place in Tioga, i'm going to locate those mentioned and mark them. I can't wait for spring now, and wet a line for trout
Bow-4-It is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,085
Default

Good luck in your relocation...Of course you are aware that there is excellent hunting in the area also..........

I'll PM you and give you my email addy... Perhaps we could get together sometime and wet a line...
Pygmy is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
fatsbucknut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mifflin Co. Pa
Posts: 829
Default

http://www.emappa.dep.state.pa.us/emappa/viewer.htm

This is a program we use at work. It will tell you if the stream is a warm water, cold water or exceptional value stream. It will also tell you the name. This can help you narrow it down from warm water - suckers,carp,etc to exceptional value which are either wild trout or a tributary to a wild trout stream.
fatsbucknut is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
  #8  
Typical Buck
 
ManySpurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2G Gaines Pa
Posts: 524
Default

I live on the Pine, and have been helping with stocking it for the last 14 years. We currently get about 30% of the fish that we used to. Thankfully, there's a local club that takes donations and puts 3K-4K fish in each year. Otherwise, the fishing would be rated as poor. I generally head down to Kettle Creek to fish. Seems like they get a few more fish and the mid-week pressure is a little lower than on the Pine. I also experience better early season hatches on the Kettle. Seems like it takes Pine Creek trout forever to start looking up.

If you are looking to get into flyfishing, give me a yell and I'll try 'n get you hooked up.
ManySpurs is offline  
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
  #9  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Bow-4-It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tioga, Pa
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by ManySpurs View Post
If you are looking to get into flyfishing, give me a yell and I'll try 'n get you hooked up.
Thanks...I just might take you up on that offer
Bow-4-It is offline  
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Bow-4-It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tioga, Pa
Posts: 454
Default

Originally Posted by fatsbucknut View Post
http://www.emappa.dep.state.pa.us/emappa/viewer.htm

This is a program we use at work. It will tell you if the stream is a warm water, cold water or exceptional value stream. It will also tell you the name. This can help you narrow it down from warm water - suckers,carp,etc to exceptional value which are either wild trout or a tributary to a wild trout stream.
I'll add it to my "favorites".
Bow-4-It is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.