Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

White bass

Old 06-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default White bass

How many of you have fished for White Bass? If you havent, you dont know what you are missing. They are fierce fighters and are pretty good eating.
I caught about 100 of them on a Mississippi River chute last month in 2 days of fishing. The limit on them is 15 per day, and once I have caught my limit, I start throwing them back.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: White bass

i do once in a while....just discorverd them wonderful fish last spring....my dad has a camera at work that watches the perimeter and zooms really good and while he is looking around he can see the river and always seen fish jumping across the river.....we found the road and found a nice spot on the other side...weve caught tons of white bass there...my dad caught a baby flathead catfish...i caught a smallie....and i hooked one of the biggest walleyes either of us has ever seen on a spoon but i horsed it a bit to much and it rooled right when it got about 8ft from bank..my dad seen it rool and the hook came flying at us....he said it was well over the 30 inch mark...i seen the back fins break the water and they were monsterous...i love river fishing...tie on a minnow and throw it out and who knows waht your going to reel in....them white bass are fun because the tend to be a school fish and arent to hard to catch...and they have decint size and fight pretty good....pretty fun fish....how do they taste any good? id never eat one from our ohio river.....just wondering......way to many pcbs in the water to think about it.....though ive watch guys eat catfish and bass and things like that and claim they always have.....not for me.....
Old 06-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: White bass

Maybe those white bass should teach the stripped bass a lesson. They' re one of the wimpiest fish I' ve ever reeled in. I reeled one in and had it skippin along the top of the water. When it comes down to the fight...I' ll take a carp or catfish anyday over those wimpy bass.

Brandan