Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Detecting the Jig Bite? >

Detecting the Jig Bite?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Detecting the Jig Bite?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Detecting the Jig Bite?

I have been dedicating considerably more time to jig fishing recently, which finally paid off with my first jig'd LMB. However, I am having a great deal of trouble determining what is a bite and what isnt. The large pond that I do most of my fishing on has numerous laydowns that go as deep as 10 feet, but the water isnt clear enough to see them and I don't know where all of the laydowns, or possible wood piles are located. Because of this, I cant tell when I am bouncing off of a tree llimb or getting a hit. I have set the hook numerous times into what I thought was a bass, but wound up spending the next 5 minutes getting my jig unstuck from a limb. Other times, i will be bouncing the jig through a brush pile, never feel a thing, and just see my line start moving whereupon I set the hook but the fish has already spit it out. I have yet to experiance a THUD on the line with a jig. I have had numerous bites, but I have only landed one.
What are some things that you all look for or feel for when trying to determine if its a bass or not?
What type of hooksets do you all employ?
Being a very patient and methodical fisherman, I really do enjoy the jig, I would just like to have better landing percentages with it.
Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

as far as hanging up, if your fishings a jig with a fiber weed-guard try flairing it up and out, towards the front of the jig...as far as the bite, it is probably one of the most fustraiting things about learning a jig,,,but here is what i do, watch the line, even more intently than normal, if the line "jumps" or is "moving", if your bait feels "heavy" , if your bait feels "light", or if it feels like you just ran over a brick with a lawn-mower set the hook...as far as the hook-set, cross there eyes, next fish you catch study the roof of its mouth and the upper lip, where a jig hook useally come into contact, if you do simple go thru skin keeping tension on the fish and keeping your rod pointed oppisite the direction of fish travel (fish going down-rod up, comming up rod-down, to try to keep the fish from jumping and throwing the bait, and right on left, left on right moving fish) you'll still loose some but i prefer a bone crushing hook-set and sharp hooks, cause if the hook never penatrates you'll most likely loose that fish..

be patient, it gets better, and is a time proven winner day in and day out
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck Gangly..when you leaern the secret I'm all ears..

I got about 20 jig hits this year and boated maybe ..and I mean maybe..not sure 5 bass..As MT has told us many times before..you will often get quality fish..There are 4 types of bites ..Here they are from easy to tough..
A. Line starts moving..BANG!!!Crosss their eyes..easiest to catch..

B.Oh wow..I found a rock bar..feel those tiny marbles/pebbles..LOL they aint pebbles..that's the jig in the fishes mouth SET THE HOOK NOW!

C. Tap tap...like a rubber worm..feel fish ..set hook..mosy of yhe time ..missed fish..fish is not there..I try to set it early..still aint there..

D. Going hours without a hit,,all of a sudden..BANG>.feels like you hit a steel pipe with a lawnmower..that was a monster..and she's felt you...too bad..
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im getting a lot of B, atleast I think I am. From what others have said, mono sux for jigging because of the lack of feel with it. Im gona fish it with braid tomorrow if the weather permits and will reply back to this thread with results.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have always gone with the idea..know what your jig fells like....when it dont feel "normal"...pull up just a tad...feel for resistance..nail him if you do. Next is watching for line movemnt. Most jig hits are on the fall so the line movemnt should be noticed first...also--you can help yourself if you have a braid line, qulity fast tip rod with lots of backbone and blank that goes ALL the way through the handle...that way there is more out there to transimit the strike so you can detect it.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Aaron,
I only use Power Pro braid with jigs and a medium heavy rod...if you feel the marbles..the jig is diffently inside the mouth ..set the hook straight up and hard..

make sure the drag is set..because if it's too tight you will break the line easily..I broke off a few this year..even with the briad..setting the hook on the jig..so make sure there is some give ..I mostly use the 3/16th ounce jig from Walmart by Betts..I get the green and brown model..I get most of my hits on this one..or the the blue and red model with life like eyes,

I also use a trailor of 2 green frog legs..this color matches my green /brown jig perfectly..I bought them off ebay a while ago..100 for about 5.00
Have fun and be thankful..{ -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 10-27-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to check the drag, thats a good point that I havent considered.

The frog legs sound like a good idea as well. I keep all of my old wore out Horny Toads, and I was thinking about cutting the body about half an inch up from the legs, and using the legs as a trailer. They vibrate really well and the fish hone in on them pretty good, so maybe they will be a good trailer when im ripping the jig through the weeds or trying to swim it. I just worry about them sending out enough vibrations when im slow crawling.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Actualy I was mistaken..they aren't frog legs..they are the 2 green pinchers from a crayfish...They are actually jig trailors..For 5.00 I was expecting to be ripped. off.I wasn't.. they are very soft and have alot of action..I gave MT a few a while back..I only have about 50 left..they are very good.

I wish I was 75 % on hook sets..I'd fish them alot more..I also caught some flipping..fact..they are excellent for flipping.The weight of the lure makes them esier to pitch exactly where you want it..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im about 75% proficient with a jig and hooking up with a bite, but most of the bites here are like running over a brick with the lawn mower choice. I have had about 9 years of practice though, I learned real quick striper fishing, perhaps the easiest way to learn if you ask me. Now I can flip and pitch, determine a bite from a tree limb and most of the time notice the bite before the fish swims with it, actually very rarely do I have a fish swim with a jig, its usually just a quick pick up and spit out. Last day I jig fished I caught 11 losing 3, which isn't to bad, just keep at it and you'll learn how to detect the bite, and once you learn it will become a go to bait nearly every trip.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Sometimes I wonder why were losing them..possibly it's because the fish are bluegills and not bass..last summer I was getting hit after hit with a jig..I finally hooked up..and reeled in an 8 inch bluegill { -:

I usually have one of my rods baited with a jig..I get many more bites on a rubber worm..but like the Horny Toad..jigs usually attract decent sized fish..Every year I hook up with a couple of good ones on a jig..

Gangly,
I'm going to send ya a dozen of the trailors I use...and one will be attached to the jig I use.I've since switched computers so please re send me your email and mailing address..
God bless,
Chuck7

PS you can use one trailor over and over again..until the trailor keeps sliding back over the hook..I've used one for up to a month before..the fish don't mess them up.

Last edited by Chuck7; 10-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.