Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

[Deleted]

Old 05-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Trotlining flatheads

coonhunter,
I would use leaches, make sure you cut them so they bleed a little . the other good bait to use is cut bait shad or blue gill. make sure you check your local fishing regulations before useing cut blue gill bait. I have also used big shinners hook them through the back just under the dorsal fin so they stay alive and swim natural. I have caught bass by useing the shinners as well. I would say the leaches work the best they are hard for the fish to get off the hook and can be used over and over. I have heard that the leaches put off some kind of chemical that attracts the cats. the only thing is I hate leaches and they are hard to put on the hook. make sure you keep them cold, this will help keep them kinda dormit other ise they are like a bunch of little snakes as soon as you open the lid they are very active when they wrm up. good luck this weekend let me know how you do. buckeyemike PS when you hook the leaches make sure you just run the hook through there tell this will let them try to swim the other goog thing about the leaches is they wont die under the water and you can leave them on for days and they stay alive.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Leeches work well for channels, but for flatheads, stick with live bait. Bluegill and bullheads are both good baits. I usually hook them behind the dorsal fins. It allows them to swim around more, which is what attracts flatheads.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:59 PM

try blue gill and arkansas rig if you don' t know this rig its tie off set 5 hooks then weight then 5 and a jug then 5 and weight till you have no more line then weight the end this has worked real good for me good luck
Old 06-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have been using Goldfish. The bluegill just wernt working this year. Last year bluegill was the only bait to have. Give them a variety to find out what works and good luck.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 AM

For flatheads Bullheads and bluegills cannot be beat, just check the legality of using them in your area, I prefer to hook mine right in the back under the spne about 3/4 of the way back, Catfish always eat live bait head first because of the spines so when r&r fishing i always let mine run a little longer, you can try a variety of baits on a trotline, i prefer gills, bullheads, sucker/chubs, and always use a big bait, i caught a 8lb flathead last week with a 14inch skipjack halfway digested in it, so dont worry about to big of a bait, also a SHARP full exposed hook point is vital because catfish have tough jaws, an important detail to remember for catchin flatheads is that 90percent of the time a mature flathead catfish will eat only live bait, you can catch small 5-10lbers on dead baits but for a fully mature catfish live bait is very important. hope that helps