Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 The Lakers Were Not Takers >

The Lakers Were Not Takers

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The Lakers Were Not Takers

Old 05-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Default The Lakers Were Not Takers

So I went an a trip with my uncle and his friends and man was it tough. We went to lake opeongo which is in Algonquin park which is in northern ontario, fishing for lakers. On the first day it was nice and sunny. We went out for 3 hours did get a bite but we marking fish from 10 feet up and we could see them breaking surface everywhere. The next day went out but it was pouring raining and really windy. Fished for 3 hours maybe no bites again and they weren't breaking surface either. We deciding to go back to camp because it was getting nasty and freezing out. At camp there was a water taxi person waiting for canoers and we started to talk to him. The taxi guy lhas worked there and knows the lake like the back of his hand. He tolds us we were fishing high enough but not in the right spots. In five minutes he filled us in with 5 spots to fish for big ones or 2 others if you needed a "a quick fish or two for dinner". I was amazed by what he knew. It got me realising that in five minutes you can learn more from someone than in 10 years of fishing the lake. And now I want to be like one of those guys, the one that knows all.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Lakers Were Not Takers

That's usually how Laker fishing in the Spring goes. Yeah, they're up closer to the surface, but they're also spread out a lot more instead of concentrated around one or two deep holes in the lake. You didn't say how you were fishing, but in the Spring, I've had the best luck with trolling a Deep Diving Husky Jerk or some kind of spoon. Good luck, nail'em next time
Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Lakers Were Not Takers

Here they catch them using streamers as well in early spring and once the water starts to warm up the deeper they go.. Better luck next time..