Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly fishing help

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Fly fishing help

hi i want to get into fly fishing and i was wondering if this is a good kit to start out with.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

just go to that address thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fly fishing help

Looks like a good enough starter kit to me.

You will want to step up to a 9-foot 5-or 6-weight fast action rod after you have fished with thisstarter rod for a year.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pflueger has been around for ages and Basspro has a good reputation. It will probably get you playing the game, and give adequate performance. One thing to look for is that it's a weight-forward line (often shown as WF). That will be easier to cast for a beginner. The clerks can help you with this.

I started with a similar kit from another manufacturer. It worked fine for trout, bass, bluegills, etc. If you were going after a species like carp or striped bass that runs a good distance when hooked, you'd probably want a better system as the drag on the starter kit reels is not going to be up to those standards. Also, it would not be suitable for saltwater if that's where you're going to be fishing.

There's an old bit of wisdom that if necessary, skimp on the reel before the rod or fly line. The cast is fundamental in flyfishing and the rod and line can help. If you want to upgrade or decide that you'd like to begin with a little bit better quality, bear that in mind.

By the way, anything you want to know about flyfishing can be found on this website: www.flyangersonline.com. It's beginner's section is great as well as the section on knots.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not think you would have to much of a problem with it.. It would make a nice fly rod for brookies up here. Because of it being 3 pieces makes it easier to get into those hard to reach places back in the deeper areas of the woods. I have an old Pflueger reel that used to be by grandfathers and he died back in 1972 so I do not know for surehow old it is. Anyways it still works great though it is a lot heavier of a reel. But for someone starting out and learning how to fly fish I think this would make a great set for the starter.. Good luck with it..
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Should do the job. Especially if you want to have it ready to go, without trying to figure out what kind of line to put on it, ect.

I usually recommend a two piece, 9ft, 5 wt, rod/reel combo. Then add the backing, line and leader....floating, weight forward.