Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Pond Stocking?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pond Stocking?

Could trout live in a pond that is about 17 feet deep in the middle and have a spring feeding in it?

The fish would be caught from the stream too, would that factor into anything?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pond Stocking?

You should be ok if it is sprint feed and that deep. Of course, if the water climbs in the summer...they cook fast.

May need to verify how deep oxygen is during the hot summer months.

I would try it with a hand full the first year.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trout would need to have it spring fed. They need cold water constantly during all times of the year.
Trout are cold water fish that require a very high oxygen content. The colder the water, the more oxygen it contains.

I would measure the temperature of the water during the hot summer months. Even though the temp may be 80 at the surface, if the temp is between 50-55 near the bottom, most trout will do fine.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

yes sir..we had a spring filled pond in Maryland that was the local community pond.It was stocked yearly with brown trout.They lived..
It does get hot in Maryland in the summer..they were fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that brown trout are a little more heat tolerant than other trout.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM

You should be fine.They stocked a pond up home and they did just fine they never any dead when it warmed up.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the pond this summer. Every week take temperature readings of the stream and of the pond. You will have to lower the thermometer throughout the 17 ft to determine where the thermoclineforms in the summer so you can see how much room the fish will have to live and the temp that it will be at. Alot of ponds have no oxygen below the thermocline but that will depend on the physical makeup of your pond, the temp and current of the spring water entering the pond and plant life that exists. if you have plants living in the deepest part of your pond (17ft) throughout the year thats a good sign. With the cost of fish it would be worth your money to have someone check it out, ask the hatchery to recomend someone. I would also recomend from my own attempts to stock a pond that you seriously consider planting the usual bass, sunny,minnow mix as its much less demanding and will eventually balance out and take care of their feeding and reproduction themsleves. You can throw a few pickerel in for fun(caught small onesat a localpond and tossed them in)as they can get decent size if left alone and kids love to see the teeth on those things. Trout will always cost you money and time (feed)and will never really thrive though your pond/geography maybe the exception.If you notice, everyone with a trout pond has to "restock" every year though supposedly the fish are doing fine.
From my experincedon't count on finding the dead fish as alot of stuff will eat them as quick as they die unless your there everyday to check/feed the pond. In retrospect I would never have wasted money on trout as the few months they lived for me It would have been much cheaper taking the kids to a pay lake and more enjoyable. Spending abunch of cash to catch8 to10 inch pellet eating troutwithout even the hope of landing a decent one that had the brains to actually run away from the thing reeling it in let alone pull on the drag was a big waste.(could only afford very few decent size ones and they died without me even catching them) Kids don't seem to care what kind of fish they catch. Hope it helps.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

The depthness of the pond means very little if the spring running into it is cold enough and delivers enough oxygen to support them. If not stick with brown trout and they will do fine. They have stocked a few warm water lakes up this way with browns and they have done great in those lakes. The lakes were only about 10 to 12 feet deep with no springs. So if it can not support cold water trout as other have stated go with browns. Good luck to you..