Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

St. Croix Rods

Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default St. Croix Rods

I am looking for a rod that i can use the on days where i just want to catch fish at the small stream by my house (panfish and smaller smallies....biggest being 12 inches), and for trout (size ranging from a few ounces to a few pounds). My main question is what is the difference between the St Croix Premier and the Triumph series of rods besides one being made in the USA? If you had to get one which would it be? The Premier 4'6 UL or the Triumph 5' UL?

I am also torn between setting them up with a Shimano Sedona 500FD or a Pflueger President.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: St. Croix Rods

Your way out of my league..I'll stick with the Walmart Team Diawas and Lightning Rods..
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only difference between the triumph and premier series IS the premier being made in the USA!! I have also been looking at the two and cant decide which one I want, they both come with the SAME warranty and the SAME parts, so I dont know I will probably be going with the cheaper model...!!

I think if it breaks it is replaced in the USA anyhow sooooo...???

AS for you I would go for the 5'UL for what you plan, I am not sure how "small" the smallmouth are but, that would almost have me leaning to go with atleast a Light action??? I would want the other 6 inches for control incase of hooking a larger smallie or trout?!?!

Gd Luck!!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Chuck7.....its way out of my league too, but i figured since i get a discount on them from my job i might as well make it now or never.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I own a 6' medium action spinning Triumph rod and absolutely love it. I work at a sporting goods store and looked at them very closely side by side and there isn't much difference between the two models. In your bigger rods there is a little bit of a weight difference with the Premier being slightly lighter. For the two rods you are looking at I can't image there could be much of a weight difference because they are so light already. It really comes down to which price you want to spend. Either one you get I think you will love it.

As for the reels you are looking at either one will be fine. I personally like the President, but like the rods you aren't going to notice a difference because it is an ultralight setup.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Your way out of my league..I'll stick with the Walmart Team Diawas and Lightning Rods..
same here

Shimano Compre is my new fav series of rod....
but i dig the Lightning rod for the $$
also dig the Fenwick HMX when they are available ....i think the fenwick is slightly better than the Compre IMO but the warranty inst lifetime like the compre...so the compre gets the nod.
(catalogs BPS and CABELA)dont havethe fenwick model Hmxbecause they dont want people to know how great they are because they make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ selling thevery nice but waaaayoverpriced ST CRoix...and the more expensive Fenwick HMG line...that i cant even tell a difference in.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Chuck7.....its way out of my league too, but i figured since i get a discount on them from my job i might as well make it now or never.

Trust me..I like fishing with nice stuff too.My local tackle shop has a few St.Croix.They had one for 160.00 a 7 foot medium baitcaster..THANK GOD I checked it out on Cabelas..there are 3 different levels of St.Croix..He had the 100.00 rod priced at 160.00[&o]
My best baitcaster is a Trigger Stick Fenwick..rices for 80.00 I got it for 7.00 at a yard sale..I sanded the cork handle down to fit my hand properly..So far I'm 100% on hook sets with this rod..Although it's a Medium Heavy it's tip is a little flemsy..which is perfect for fishermen who use th e'Pull set' technique..I love it..

Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Alpha Capo,
I agree..the Fenwicks are decent..I have two..a baitcaster and spinning rod..

My over all favorite spinning for bass from Walmart are their 6 1/2 foot Team Diawa..7 foot is a must..Josh got me started on the 7 foot routine..and my hook set ratio increased greatly.

My over all Baitcaster would be a the Finwick and close to it the Team Diawa

BUT I have many Lightning Rods..they last forever.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up getting the Triumph. I also picked up a diawa spinning rod for my lady which we have at d*cks sporting goods for 15 bucks. I have yet to get a reel to see if i cant find a better deal anywhere else.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Guess What???

The tackle shop near by that sells Finwicks , Allstars and St.Croix..are going out of busiiness..ALL rods are about 50-60% off..

BUT I checked them out..[&o] all the 7 foot bass rods are gone..There is only some light tackle left and a few medium spinning rods.
Hi slast day open is Sunday..I may get a nice medium St.Croix 7 foot spinning I saw for 75.00

Quick Reply: St. Croix Rods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.