Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 What UL Spinning Reel? >

What UL Spinning Reel?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What UL Spinning Reel?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What UL Spinning Reel?

Well its that time of the year again and it may be time for a new Ultra light set up?? I am mainly asking because I have been tending to use more and more 2lb line. It works great but it does tend to backlash and screw up easier. I use mainly Mitchel 300x or 340x reels and they work great with 4-6lb line but I am looking for an ultra smooth yet small reel that will handle 2lb test line easily??

So does anyone else use any 2lb line for trout?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What UL Spinning Reel?

Walmart has the

Garcia 101 ...I have 3 and love them.. they come with 2 spools..

only complaint..I have one that has a burr on the spool.I need to sand it off but always forget.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shimano Sedona 700, I love this reel. All the power and smoothness of a big reel and can easily handle 2-10 lb test. I beat it up, and it is easily the best ultralight reel I have ever had. I also have a B&M rod that is great as well, Tenesse handle for balance.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wont spend much money on an ultralight, because of how small they are and the abuse I put them through. I got a mitchel advocat at wal mart for $20, and its honestly the smoothest ultralight I've used. Its going on its second year, and its actually the ONLY reel I have that isnt a shimano.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh man right now you can get a cabelas classic 2 or 1 piece ul combo for about 30 bucks! perfect. my brother and i tend to use 6lb floro all year round on our spinning stuff for trout. still small enough for the small brooksand streams but heavy enough to battle some of the bigger (5-6 lb) salmon and browns in the rivers. these rods are also longer then normal ul set ups at 6'6'' and 7'
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

get a cheap $25 walmart rig thats what i got and it works great
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I have plenty of UL reels and rods but was just interested in what would handle 2lb test better. It is just that much smaller that hardly none of myreels can handle much use before it backlashing and knotting up on me? Then this is when I get aggravated and put 4lb on everything but I would like to find a reliable reel that will hold the 2lb for more then a handful of times out?!??

Josh I also have 2Mitchel Advocets and they are good reels. I have one of the larger ones and one smaller(?).. but the smaller one still doesnt handle the 2lbvery well?

I will have to check out the Shimanoand Abu Garcia line of reels, but everytime I have ever checked them out at the store they cant compare totheMitchels in smoothness but maybe they have changed in the past year or so??

The option I havent went yet but will probably have to doto get what I want out of the 2lb test is get a long 9ft UL rod and that should give me enough pole length(eyelets) to reel the 2lb line better??(Just a brainstorm?)