Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel >

How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel

Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Default How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel

How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel??
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Default RE: How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel

There are multiple ways to do so depending on the type of spinning reel. If you bought the abu garcia that you posted about earlier then it looks like the drag is on the front end of the reel. Just unscrew the end of the spool little by little until you get whatever drag setting you want. I'm not 100% sure this is how your reel works but it is a good place to start.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM

yeah i got that abu garcia and i figured out how to adjust it but how loose should should i set it
Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 4 of those Abu spinning reels my friend. The drags are very nice on those and rarely hang up.

The drag setting depends on a few things..

1. What size line are you using,

2. What lure are you using.

Really this comes from trial and error. For worm fishing I want mine set kind of tight because I don't want my line slipping much when I set the hook.Whenlive bait fishing ..and I know the hook is in there pretty good my drag is not real tight..

Rooster Tails also need a rather snug drag as the hooks can come out pretty easy ...so lure with smaller hooks diffently need a rather tight drag..

When your drag is working properly ..when fighting a fish your pole should be bent real good and your drag only coming on with extreme runs from the fish. If your drag is on when the fish is pulling and your rod is barely bent...you have to tighten up on the.drag. If your fish runs hard and your line breaks quickly ..not enough drag .OR it's stuck. I always check my drag after my first cast to make sure it's not stuck up. With bail closed ..grab the line and you should be able to pull it out some. Again , trial and error. You can also adjust the drag sometimes when fighting a fish, If your rod is doubling over and the drag isn't woking..by all needs loosen that drag up some...real quick like.

OK I just went and tied a knot in front of 3 different reels and used my Rapala scales to see how hard to pull befor emy drag kicked on. My scale was about 6inches from the reel pulling straight outward.

Abu c 101 light reel 6 pound test...drag kicked in at 1 pounds exactly. Using minnows for crappie.

Abu c 103 20 pound power pro... kicked in at 3 pounds of pull. Rooster Tail was the lure.

Quantum baitcaster ..rubber worm kicked in at 5 pounds. using 20 pound Power Pro.

One reason I still use drag with my tough line...if the hook is in the soft part of a fishes mouth..although the line probably won't break..you can tear the fishes mouth in some places in his mouth and lose the fish.So the drag isn't just to keep the fish from over powering you..it also helps from tearing loose .Crappy have a very tender mouth thus the nickname .'Papermouth' Many of the big bass I caught this year..the hook was barely hooked under a small layer of skin.If my drag wasn't set properly ..I would hve lost that fish..When shiner fishing I had it set at 3 pounds although I was using 20 pound Power Pro.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also depends on what you're fishing for. If bluegill keep it looser, if largemouth bass, keep it tighter. Just play around and do some trial & error.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 AM

There is no real need to measure your drag settings. The drag will all depend on what lure/fish you are using/fishing for. You don't realy need to worry about ripping out a bass's lip. (or catfish) You need a much tighter drag for fishing any weedless lures to make sure you get a good hook set. One important piece of advice on fishing with a spinning reel is that never reel in when the drag is running. If you do you will find yourself with some beautiful line twist.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM

well im gonna be fishing for largemouth mostly and i got 12 pound cabelas pro line and i probably gonna use worms and grubs?? i havent got any spinnerbaits yet but im gonna
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

There is no real need to measure your drag settings. The drag will all depend on what lure/fish you are using/fishing for. You don't realy need to worry about ripping out a bass's lip. (or catfish) You need a much tighter drag for fishing any weedless lures to make sure you get a good hook set. One important piece of advice on fishing with a spinning reel is that never reel in when the drag is running. If you do you will find yourself with some beautiful line twist.
Good advise. This is probly all u need to know to get u goin
Good Luck
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM

how do you keep the drag from running indiana hunter? thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeremyd2012

how do you keep the drag from running indiana hunter? thanks
The drag runs whenever a fish is runnin. now if u dont wanna let a fish run, tighten the drag but if its a BIG fish if u tighten the drag even sorta tight, when he runs...POP, goes the line. Besides its ok for the fish to run, cause eventually he'll stop then u reel him in after he tires. So my answer to the question: u dont

Quick Reply: How do you adjust drag on your spinning reel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.