Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Does anyone eat freshwater eel? >

Does anyone eat freshwater eel?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Does anyone eat freshwater eel?

Old 04-14-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Does anyone eat freshwater eel?

Freshwater eel were considered a big nuisance fish and nothing else when I was growing up. I did eat some eel at a fish and chips place in England which was great clean white meat but I expect that it was of the salt water variety.

So do any of you eat freshwater eel? How would you describe it? Does it compare to the flavor of any other freshwater fish?

Maine Hunter
Old 04-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone eat freshwater eel?

eels spawn in freshwater. The eels come from across the ocean and spawn here. The eels here cross the ocean and spawn over in the sargasso sea I believe, or somewhere over there, so in reality there is no fresh or saltwater eel perse. I don' t supose your talking about a lamprey eel, they liveand spawn in freshwater and are a parasite. Wouldn' t even think of tasting one let alone eat the whole thing. Hope this clears things up. Although I' m no biologist . But Love smoked or fried eels.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:47 AM

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/american_eel.cfm

Background:

The American eel, Anguilla rostrata, also known as the common or freshwater eel, can be found in a variety of habitats across an extensive geographic range. It probably has the broadest diversity of habitats of any fish species in the world. The American eel occurs in freshwater rivers and lakes, estuaries, coastal areas and open ocean from the southern tip of Greenland, along the Atlantic coast of North America, throughout the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, to Venezuela, and inland in the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes. The eel is an abundant resident of all tributaries to the Chesapeake Bay in its yellow eel phase. Before reaching this life-history phase, which comprises most of its life, the eel has undergone several physical and geographical changes.

Life Cycle:

The life history of the American eel is complex and not fully understood. It is a catadromous species, which spends most of its life in rivers, lakes and estuaries, but migrates to the ocean to spawn.

The eel begins and ends its life in the waters of the Sargasso Sea, an area north of the Bahamas.
The leptocephalus, a pelagic larvae of less than two inches in length, drifts with the ocean currents for 9 to12 months before entering coastal waters.
When it reaches approximately 2.4 inches in length, the leptocephalus metamorphoses into a transparent, " glass" eel.
In autumn the glass eels migrate into estuaries along the Atlantic coast, including Chesapeake Bay, where they become pigmented. These eels are known as elvers.
Some elvers remain in the estuaries, but others migrate varying distances upstream, often for several hundred kilometers, overcoming seemingly impassible obstacles such as spillways, dams, falls and rapids.
Now in their yellow eel phase, the American eels will remain in the brackish and fresh waters of these rivers for the majority of their lives–for at least five and possibly as many as twenty years.
The yellow eels are uniformly greenish-brown to yellowish-brown dorsally, and whitish-gray ventrally. Females reach a maximum length of five feet, and males grow as long as two feet.
These residents of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries are nocturnally active omnivores, feeding on insects, mollusks, crustaceans, worms and other fish.
Before beginning its life-ending migration back to the waters of the Sargasso Sea to spawn, the eel must undergo further profound physical changes. Just prior to the reproductive migration, the eel stops feeding, the eyes and pectoral fins enlarge, the visual pigments change and the body color pattern transforms. The sexually mature eel has a gray back, pure white belly, and a silvery bronze sheen on its flanks. The migration occurs throughout autumn nights with adults descending streams and rivers, swimming through deep grass and shallow ditches, for a January spawning in the warm Caribbean waters.

Preparation - In years past, the species was marketed fresh and salted in the Chesapeake Bay region, but today it supports no commercial fishery in the United States and is rarely eaten. The Conger Eel is an important food fish in parts of Europe, Africa, and Asia. Other than deep frying, perhaps the best way to cook the species is by smoking. The following procedure may be used to smoke most fish. The ingredients are 6 dressed, 1-pound fish, 1 cup of salt, 1 gallon of water, and ¼ cup of salad oil. The Eel should be prepared by removing the head, viscera and skin. Add the salt to the water and stir until it is dissolved. Pour the brine over the fish and let them soak for about 30 minutes. Remove the fish from the brine and rinse them in cold water.

To smoke, use a charcoal fire in a covered grill. Let the fire burn down to a low, even heat. Cover the coals with hickory chips that have been presoaked overnight in water. Place the fish on a well-greased grill, skin side down if they are split open, and about 4 inches above the smoking coals. Add more chips as needed to keep the fire smoking. Brush the fish with the oil, and cook for about 15 minutes. Baste again, cover and cook for 10 minutes longer or until the meat is lightly browned. This recipe serves 6.

Old 04-20-2003, 07:41 PM

ate them when I was a kid,of course we ate almost anything that didn' t eat us first.we skinned them cut into links about 3" long and fried them like any other fish.they were pretty good as I remember.
I do know you can cook them al brown and as long as you want,and in the morning if there are any left;there will be blood in the plate.just something I rememberd as a kid.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

never cought one, dont think i have ever seen one unless they look like the ones on tv. and dont think i will ever try one.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Smoked, they' re good. The smaller ones the best. (1-2 Pound)
Also wrap in tinfoil and cook in the embers of a campfire.
Have a high oil content.
Enjoy
Old 04-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Spike

Ive had them fried,,,,,not bad, but they sure arent something I want to make a steady diet of. I use eels for striper fishing from June through to the end of November, nothin better for big stripers. Thanks for the great post Zelazny, like I said, I use eels all the time,,but thats the first time I' ve seen their life cycle in print.