Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 use a flipping stick for swimbaits? >

use a flipping stick for swimbaits?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

use a flipping stick for swimbaits?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default use a flipping stick for swimbaits?

I'm ready to jump on the swimbait bandwagon. I've used the smaller prerigged soft swimbaits like the Storm Wildeye series with great success and would now like to use the larger ones in open water for BIG fish. I've been reading articles on the type of rod you should use and long H and XH seem to be the ticket. Flipping sticks fit the bill, but for the most part they tend to be pretty stiff with a fast tip section, is that going to be ok with the big swimbaits? It would almost seem like you would want something a little moreon the progressive side to help cushion the hookset, wouldn't you? I need a flipping rod to get better at that particular discipline and if there is one that would work both ways it would help keep She Who May Not Be Named from frying my hide for buying two rods. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: use a flipping stick for swimbaits?

It would almost seem like you would want something a little moreon the progressive side to help cushion the hookset, wouldn't you?
GrizzlyHackle36

I agree..my best flipping stick is a 7 foot MH.. the tip has more spring than the Lightning Rod.There are 2 different types of hook sets..
a. Quick Set
B. Pull Set.

I use a pull set..meaning I feel the fish ..and then pull the fish instead of the sudden quick set many do on TV. With a pull set I need more give as I don't want the fish to feel me..With a quick set I may want a stiffer tip to drive the hook better.