Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Crappie

Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crappie

Ok guys

never been before so what do i need use and have to look for, as always any advice is great

mb
Old 11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crappie

Step 1...Find out from the internet , newspaper and word of mouth where your nearest crappie producing lake is.

Step 2. ..Use your depth finder to find water between 5- 10 foot deep near brush or other structure,,

Step 3 ..with line no bigger than 8 pound test use a small number 10 gold hook ..they bend easy and tie to the end of your line..place a small split shot about 12 inches above the hook..place a bobber about 6 feet above the minnow..you hook the minnnow carefully through both lips..so it will live longer..

Step 4 you need to keep your bait moving so drifting is important..Fish at least 4 rods at one time..

Step 5. If there is no wind put trolling motor on slawest setting and drift until you find them..

Since we are in a contest I'll keep my jig technique to myself BUT i'll tell you what works...small jigs that look like these..They will have a lead head ..these cartch fish..
NOTE ...use light tackle..these fish are nicknamed "Papermouth" you need to fight them carefully NOT like a bass..gently play tug of war and let the fish win..carefully lift him up and in the boat..A 2 pounder is worth a mount..

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

and you most likely wont feel much of anything aka the bite. lol it might feel like someone added the weight of a marshmallow or it could feel like a small bass. they are wierd about that. i like to use a road runner, small white chatterbait, jig, jig with minnow, or other small similar lures, but nothing works better than a small minnow on a size 6 drop shot hook with a small split shot half way up to the bobber! you can try putting 2 minnows on 1 hook also, it works great!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Also, when drifting ..you may want to put minnows at different depths..Example..one rod at 5 feet..one at 7 feet etc..THEY love brush piles..WHen spawning ..which shoould be now..you find them on the shoreline..and jig around the edges for them with a cane pole ..bobber set at 3 foot.They also love cat tails..

They can be suspended..and many times you have to put the bait right on them..
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

also if you can afford it and get good enough, def give spider rigs a try!! you will load the boat in a few minutes with a full creel!!!