Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

you like ?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: you like ?

I must admit I like your boat as well Duane, but it wouldn't do me alot of good with all the deaheads and rockpiles we have up here!
I hope you have a blast with that out on your next fishing trip.. Show us some pics after you had it out.. we want to see a few fish pics..
Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Duane...Nice ride, my best friend has a 19 foot Charger and we have taken it up to the Detroit River and St. Claire, they are made for rough water BUT when a 30 mph wind kicks up on St. Claire or the river, you better put your rain gear on, have about 4 straps on your trolling motor (not joking) and lock all of your boxes...we found out the hard way But your right about the speed, my friend has a 200 Merc and he hits the low 60's, not made for speed, pretty heavy boat. Have fun with it!!!

The economy does suck, that's why I am selling my boat. 1999 Cobra with a Mercury 200 EFI 18'6" for what I owe the bank which is like 6900.00
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

got the boat this morning - damn that 200 hp is a big motor !

overall boat condition is 9 IMO ... for an 11 year old boat. the only thing is the sterring is tight/stiff - but its not hydraulic and thats a big motor .... will grease the zerks and see if it won't slick up a bit.

I'm happy with it, its all my non 4x4 Toyota Sequoia (V8) wants to be pulling !!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice big D.
Need that big chevy 454 you had,pulling it up big hills?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

Knightia The Sequoia "felt" it most defintely but its okay, I'll not long trip much anyways with this boat (45 miles is about the max distance I'll have to drive to waters)

- that truck was a 8.2 Vortec, equivlalent of a 498 I believe
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Duane

got the boat this morning - damn that 200 hp is a big motor !

overall boat condition is 9 IMO ... for an 11 year old boat. the only thing is the sterring is tight/stiff - but its not hydraulic and thats a big motor .... will grease the zerks and see if it won't slick up a bit.

I'm happy with it, its all my non 4x4 Toyota Sequoia (V8) wants to be pulling !!
Sorry to dissapoint, but greasing the zerks won't change it, my friends who is the same year and size motor has the same issue, which is NOT having hydo. steering.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, old friend.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Sorry to dissapoint, but greasing the zerks won't change it, my friends who is the same year and size motor has the same issue, which is NOT having hydo. steering.

I agree with solo. 11 years is about right for many of the steering systems to go bad. My experience is it will get harder and harder to steer and then you will replace the steering unit. They can be easily ordered and sometimes aren't difficult to change. My bass boat is a bit smaller and the way the steering was required the motor to be lifted off the boat to install the replacement steering. I took it to the boat yard and for a couple of hundred dollars it steers better than it did in years. I wish I had dealt with earlier instead of putting up with it. In my case I suddenly couldn’t turn it anymore. Sooner or later they will seize up and that isn’t good if you are on the water.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Banned

Its dual steering cabled. I called Charger and talked to them and they said usually people don't replace the steering cables until they break.

I lubed the rods that the motor turn on - that helped a LOT as they were pretty "dry". The Charger man said to use a bit of diesel fuel, and to turn that motor side to side to side, trying to get a bit of that into the areas that might be a bit gummed.

That said, its a whole lot better already.

VC - open invitation to come down anytime you want. Greer's Ferry is home to the world record walleye, and world record hybrid bass - and immediately below that dam is world record German Brown trout waters. I've got an old river boat too. Helluva good time, Arkansas style !
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I had the same situation and once they go south the lube will only give short term relief. When I changed mine I could turn the wheel with one finger. Good luck with it Duane. even if you have to change it out you are way ahead on a great deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.