Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 The first pole you grab... >

The first pole you grab...

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The first pole you grab...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Default The first pole you grab...

What's on the first pole you grab when you go fishing. More specifically, what kind of rod, reel, line and hardware are you throwing?

For me:

Its a 5'2" Wally Marshall Sig. Series rod/reel combo from BPS, 4lb Triline XL, and a 1/8oz pink jig w/ a white Power grub
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The first pole you grab...

I've just made an adjustment...Last month I would have said I'd get out my 7 foot medium heavy baitcaster with 20 pound Power Pro..

not anymore..I want lot's of hits and opportunities..I'd grab my Garcia Revo which is on a 5 foot 10 inch medium action Ugly Stick I got from Rebel Hog..filled with 10 pound Trilene mono..You will get many more hits and the flemsy medium rod allows you to set the hook hard without breaking off.My fishing has improved 200 %.My bait...a 6 inch Gambler worm with glass ratttles and weighted by a tiny split shot.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM

7'0" foot cast aways medium action rod with a curado-made by shimano with 12 pound green stren line mainly with flukes, worms, lizards, and crank baits
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Last month I would have said I'd get out my 7 foot medium heavy baitcaster with 20 pound Power Pro..
I'm not sure I've ever used 20lb line on any of my rods...

Ultralight all the time baby!![8D]
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha this is something I can never commit too..

I mainly trout fish and I am always finding myself carrying atleast 2-3 poles with me. I like a 4'6'' ugly stik ULfor spinners, I like a5' to 6' UL for jigging and rapala fishing, and I like a 6'6'or longer UL ..ex.(fly rod) for baiting.....[&:][&:].... and I am always switching up to present something new to them(thats the key)!!!

All these poles are equipped with Mitchell 300x's and Avocets with 2lb, 4lb and 6lb Cortland Camo line! I would have said Trilene line but just gave the Cortland Camo line a shot this year and its A+++++++++++++++!!!!!!

SORRY i cant grab just ONE pole?!? I have a problem..lol!

Ohhhh and for smallmouth I go with my wal-mart Mitchell med actionspinning combothat I have been using for 4-5 years! With 8lb Trilene, but may have to switch this year, I dont know though because the heavier Trilene has never let me down??? I dont even know the name of it is?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Austin

Actually ..Oneshot introduced me to Power Pro..flipping and pitching..I'd still use it.The diameter is about 8 pound test..but it does turn white fast..I noticed I wasn't getting near the hits I got worming like I did a few years ago..I spooled a reel with 10 pound mono...and my hits have come back in full force. I was worried about breaking the line though with quick hook sets so I put the reel on my medium rods..that worked great.I plan to get a 7 foot medium or 2 tomorrow. I love ultra light with pan fishing.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Austin

Actually ..Oneshot introduced me to Power Pro..flipping and pitching..I'd still use it.The diameter is about 8 pound test..but it does turn white fast..I noticed I wasn't getting near the hits I got worming like I did a few years ago..I spooled a reel with 10 pound mono...and my hits have come back in full force. I was worried about breaking the line though with quick hook sets so I put the reel on my medium rods..that worked great.I plan to get a 7 foot medium or 2 tomorrow. I love ultra light with pan fishing.
I don't think I could ever seriously fish with anything heavier than a medium action rod. I love the added challenge of light line and light tackle all around, way too much fun bringing in a big ol pike on 4lb line with no leader! I may lose a few like that, but the ones I land just mean that much more then.

This past summer I took my GF out to one of my honey holes and she snagged a 23lb Carp (I love having a scale in the tackle box now) on one of my ultralights. I coached her through the fight and she landed it after about 20 minutes! It was one of the funniest things I'd seen in a long time. The fish was up and down the shoreline several times tangling other people lines, luckily they were all laughing as hard as I was!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Austin~~ While I agree with you, I hate having to retie my lures[:@][:@][:@][:@]!! Bigger fish=Bigger bait= me losing more lures unless I have a heavier line!!!

Then again I am always fishing moving bigger waters....now a lake I can see where your coming from!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

Then again I am always fishing moving bigger waters....now a lake I can see where your coming from!!
This is true, there is a big difference in fishing the two. I guess the WI river where I do fish quite a bit is lazy enough that I can still get away with pretty light line. I will admit that I will cut and re-tie a bit more often when fishing the river though - more junk in the water to damage the line generally, especially since my area tends to flood fairly often [:@]
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Well for Bass fishing i love the fight so I stick to a Daiwa Ultra light rod and a Okuma reel with 7llb braided line

When I fish competively I'm going Medium heavy action with a Shimano Ultra reel and 7llb braided line.

Reason I pick braided line is its much tougher and alot smaller.

Quick Reply: The first pole you grab...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.