Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Creek smallmouth

Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Creek smallmouth

I fished a place today using minnows. I caught a ton of small ones and one real nice one. Anything you would reccomend I can do to catch more of the big ones and less of the small ones?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Default RE: Creek smallmouth

Use a bigger bait Check out my other post[8D]

In all honesty, using bigger baits may be the answer. If you can get them, try using shiners or walleye minnows instead of a regular sized crappie minnow. Otherwise start throwing some hardware at them. You'll get a list of about 1000 lures that everyone here prefers, so to start it off:

1. Inline spinners - always a good bet, deadly effective and very versatile. I like white Roostertails and the Mepps Comet

2. Original rapala - silver/black, bronze/black, and white/blue are the colors you'll probably here about the most. Another very versatile and effective lure.

3. Float and Fly - small bucktail jig under a real sensitive bobber. It's a finesse technique that produces a TON of fish. Look here for technique details >>>---------------> http://www.floatandfly.com/

So with that being said, take notes You'll get a lot more lure suggestions thrown at you.