Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Where to go for some northern fshing. >

Where to go for some northern fshing.

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Where to go for some northern fshing.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where to go for some northern fshing.

Smallmouth Bass St. Croix river as well as white and yellow perch.. Sorry no pike, but we do have chain pickeral and some very big ones. St. Croix river, Meddybemps lake, and last but not least Barrels lake. All waters here have smallmouth, perch, and pickeralin them. Some of them are not so much pickeral in them. Extreme northern areas of the state has got Muskie and Pike that have taken over waters of the upper St. John river that were illegaly stocked. If you have never caught an Atlantic salmon you do not know what you are missing and the Penobscot river has recently open up catch and release fishing for those. It is fly fishing only for them..Maine has a large variety with lots of action.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Phil I was up that way last year. I have a freind who lives in N.H. We fished the salt for Stripers. We hit Portsmouth. We also fished Lake Winnipesaukee. That was some awsome Smallie fishing . You guys live in some beautiful country up there!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks!

I am on the other side of the state on the border with New Brunswick, Canada and it really is nothing but hunting and fishing for miles.. I am about 20 miles up from the tidal water of the St. Croix River in Calais. Good striper fishing there as well but we hardly ever see any bluefish coming up this far north.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: rsbcon

In Oneida and Vilas Counties, Wisconsin is there alot of lakes?What size are they? Dusty Lake of the Woods ,where sould a guy start ? That lake is huge. Would my 1860 G3 be big enuff for that lake? Thanks for the replys guys. Keep them coming! If you guys need any info on Missouri lakes I will try to help you all out!

Yeah, your boat is plenty big for LOTW, Sportsman lodge on the minnesota side is a good place to start looking. Also Zipple Bay lodge. Check it out, it's a great fishery.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rsbcon

In Oneida and Vilas Counties, Wisconsin is there alot of lakes?What size are they? Dusty Lake of the Woods ,where sould a guy start ? That lake is huge. Would my 1860 G3 be big enuff for that lake? Thanks for the replys guys. Keep them coming! If you guys need any info on Missouri lakes I will try to help you all out!
In my mind, Vilas and Oneida, and Lincoln (its the County south of Oneida) has the largest concentration of lakes in the world. Ill start off with a few of my favorites.

Minocqua
Kawaguesaga
Oneida
Carol
Eagle River Chain
Manitowish Chain
Willow Flowage
Rainbow Flowage
Lac Du Flambeau Chain

A few words of advice, if you plan on going to Lakes Minocqua and Kawaguesaga (They are connected) in the summer, you shouldn't, if you want to fish. Its always filled with boats during hot days, so much that its difficult to fish.
The Willow, Manitowish Chain, and the Rainbow are all very low. The Willow and Rainbow are down 10 feet, and Manitowish is down 6 feet, and with all the stumps there, its dangerous.

Call Tommy Zinda if you would like to fish with a guide. He is an excellent guide. His website- http://tommysfishingadventures.com/

A word on LOTW- Ive never been there, but its big water. Very big water. You will need a GPS, so you wont get lost. Its not very nice when that happens